Patrick

Used fire brick changed my plans

Saw a car kiln for sale for $3,500-comes with all soft brick and some hard brick -shelves car(could be converted into a swing door)Its on Potters Attic on Facebook 

This is is Sea grove SC which is near you (as I live in the west where everything is a long ways apart )near you is a relative term

You could negotiate a better price as you have to take it apart-solves a lot of issues for you-you could use most of the materials as they are the ones you need. With this pile of materials you could build whatever you like.Hopefully the arch form comes included-which will make the take down much easier .

On 10/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, Patrick said:

Holy cow, that book ain't cheap.  May have to try inter-library loan! Unless you guys know where to buy it that I ain't looking.

Looks on bookshelf, yes I have got that book,  That's my pension sorted then, when I can no longer hold a book and read it.  

Done enough for right now.  I'll move my smaller propane conversion kilns in there sometime this week and hopefully bisque this weekend.  Gravel and a concrete pad are on the to-do list.  Gas company is coming by to talk about meter placement in the next few days. ... One foot in front of the other.  Pick 'em up and put 'em down.

Sheddone.jpg

19 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

Pretty nice! Back to the wind?

Half way. Photo is made from the west facing east.  Our prevailing winds/storms come from west/southwest.  Eventually, I'd like to put up some sliding doors on front and rear, then anything smaller than an EF-2 would be a non-issue. ;) 

Gas company just came and we agreed on a meter location ... just on the other side of the chain link fence next to my shed!!!  I have a 10 foot trench to dig to run my line!! That makes me smile. I was keeping fingers crossed that they wouldn't insist on putting it next to house meter for some off the wall reason(100 feet away). They did say it would be a few weeks before they would have it installed though, but I ain't complaining.  They are going to put in a 415 CFH meter, and said it could be opened up to provide 600k btu per hour (which I also read somewhere else that meter is capable of that).   Not a bad day.

Edited by Patrick

My pooch (actually, my wife's pooch, but we know how that goes ;)) checking out the gas company's installation.  Thought they were going to put it outside the fence, but they changed their minds. Cool. Now I just need to run my pipe inside the kiln shed and they will install the meter.  I know what I'll be doing this weekend.  One step at a time.

GasInstall.jpg

Well lets see-I have always run 2 inch factory wrapped (yellow plastic) steel pipe (for low pressure natural gas kilns-I run 3 of them on this)and taped the joints with 80 mils of direct bury tape for inspectors .

What size and type of pipe are you going to use. ???

They now have plastic yellow pipe with expensive crimp risers at each . Spendy but less work that all the treading of pipe.

13 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Well lets see-I have always run 2 inch factory wrapped (yellow plastic) steel pipe (for low pressure natural gas kilns-I run 3 of them on this)and taped the joints with 80 mils of direct bury tape for inspectors .

What size and type of pipe are you going to use. ???

They now have plastic yellow pipe with expensive crimp risers at each . Spendy but less work that all the treading of pipe.

We have some of that wrapped steel, going from our house, to the unattached garage.  It was put in, when the previous owners built the garage, and overseen by the gas company.

A couple years ago, I got a notice saying, that type of line is no longer what they use, and I need to replace it.  I guess now, they are going with some type of plastic line.  We still haven't "updated" it...

I actually think I am going to pour a concrete pad this weekend, and weather permitting, I may dig a trench and plan what I'll need. 

Gas company guy said he would like to see regular ol' threaded steel pipe buried about 6 inches or so (!!!!!) with an flexible connector on the kiln side of the pipe.  His wish is my command.  Whatever gets the meter in.  Definitely going home improvement store threaded pipe with that short of a run. 

2" for sure.  I'm thinking about running a T into my studio (above grade per code, of course)for a small gas stand alone fireplace to keep clay from freezing this winter.  Last year I disliked playing the game of  "take what you throw in the house to dry , and re-wedge the clay you just wedged yesterday because re-froze".  I'd be happy with a nice constant 45 degrees or so.  Just enough to keep water fluid.

Now if I could just figure out where I want this darned pad poured...

5 hours ago, Benzine said:

We have some of that wrapped steel, going from our house, to the unattached garage.  It was put in, when the previous owners built the garage, and overseen by the gas company.

A couple years ago, I got a notice saying, that type of line is no longer what they use, and I need to replace it.  I guess now, they are going with some type of plastic line.  We still haven't "updated" it...

Whatever they used to use should still work fine-just because the new stuff is plastic does not mean the old steel in no good. I have NEVER heard of this replacement deal unless the old is rusted up bad.

43 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Wow only 6 inches deep? our building dept. wants all pipe 18 inches deep.6 seems light.

Welcome to Smiths Grove, KY.  Set your watch back 20 years. :D

On a serious note, my guess is because the shed is so darn close.  Very well could be that it should be. 

2 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

You might plan for a small raku kiln in the future when you're placing that pad and plumbing. 

I know! It's exciting! The bad thing is I haven't put anything in stone yet (pun, anyone?) and I feel like a dog walking in circles trying to find the perfect spot to lay down.

21 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

So they want plain black pipe in the ground? Won't it rust out? You don't have to put it in a PVC sleeve or anything?

I know.  Crazy.  I was at least expecting them wanting plastic pipe with a metal riser.  I don't think they would mind if I did plastic/metal riser.  The way he was talking, I'm thinking he was trying to help me out and keep it simple.  Might also have to do with the availability of 2" plastic/metal riser - i.e.  Home Depot here is only showing 1" plastic.  May go redneck and spray it with rubberized undercoating or something like that if I go with steel.

Edited by Patrick

28 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I know.  Crazy.  I was at least expecting them wanting plastic pipe with a metal riser.  I don't think they would mind if I did plastic/metal riser.  The way he was talking, I'm thinking he was trying to help me out and keep it simple.  Might also have to do with the availability of 2" plastic/metal riser - i.e.  Home Depot here is only showing 1" plastic.  My go redneck and spray it with rubberized undercoating or something like that if I go with steel.

Everything I've read says don't use black pipe in the ground because it'll just rust. How long is the run from the meter to your shed? If you extended the concrete pad beyond the back of your shed all the way to your meter, you could surface mount the pipe on the concrete, and just paint it to keep it from rusting. I would think it would last a lot longer that way. Maybe use that area for storage, or add on to the shed. Just an idea. Another option for burial would be to use pipe wrap.

3 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Everything I've read says don't use black pipe in the ground because it'll just rust. How long is the run from the meter to your shed? If you extended the concrete pad beyond the back of your shed all the way to your meter, you could surface mount the pipe on the concrete, and just paint it to keep it from rusting. I would thing it would last a lot longer that way. Maybe use that area for storage, or add on to the shed. Just an idea. Another option for burial would be to use pipe wrap.

You can look at the above photo of the meter and dog and kiln shed wall. ... 8 feet maybe?

Just bought the pipe wrap.  Thank you sir.  I can put my mullet back under my ball cap and the rubberized undercoating back on the shelf. ... Whew. Thought I was gonna show some true colors there for a minute! :lol:

Here we have to use plastic wrapped (yellow heavy coating) steel pipe and wrap all the joints with two layers of that 10mil tape for inspection. 

I dug some up after 40 years and it was still rust free.

If I was you I would not use black steel pipe unless its coated with factory plastic-I would use galvanized pipe and wrap that-much better results in the long run.

Edited by Mark C.

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Here we have to use plastic wrapped (yellow heavy coating) steel pipe and wrap all the joints with two layers of that 10mil tape for inspection. 

I dug some up after 40 years and it was still rust free.

If I was you I would not use black steel pipe unless its coated with factory plastic-I would use galvanized pipe and wrap that-much better results in the long run.

Most places won't allow galvanized for use with gas. The zinc flakes off and gets into orifices.