Winter Is Coming... Aquarium Heater in Throwing Water?

I don't like thinning down my throwing slip, so I use a buffet-type hot plate, loosely bagged, under my metal throwing bowl in my semi-walled studio during cold weather. I had just purchased an aquarium heater to try out (expecting my old hot plate to expire without much warning). Glad I read all this input, thanks!

3 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

@Benzine, don't p.o. your lady. Find your own crock pot for cheap at thrift store. They also are good for boiling the encrusted old paint off hardware (Thanks, Rehab Addict!)

No worries from me.  I get use out of my crock pot.  I made chicken noodle soup in it, this past weekend.

And yes, I saw that tip on Rehab Addict too.  Luckily, all the door hardware, in my home, is paint free... As all the amazing woodwork. 

On 10/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Joseph Fireborn said:

When bucket of water gets cold. I toss it outside.

I know Joseph doesn't recycle his clay but for anyone that does I wouldn't be tossing away the throwing water. It contains the fines that make the clay plastic and is best added back to the recycled clay to avoid it being short.

I discovered a split AC heat pump and man it is nice. They come DIY (pre-charged) and not that hard to do.

My problem was intense 100+ degree heat in Texas garagio but got one with a heat pump for the few cold months we get as well. Works perfectly and about a third the price of 110 plug ins. Shudder to think the cost of propane. 

Benzine,  i really needed the laugh your post provided.  i am trying to remember how many pipers are in the holiday song about the 12 days of christmas and picturing someone with a torch warming them up.  thank you  for the inadvertent humor.

having collected a number of the heaters for food at buffets, Salton Hotrays by brand name, i have a variety of sizes for different purposes.  one use is to warm a glaze fired flat tray that needs more glaze .    works very well and quickly and then it dries out the newly sprayed additional glaze so the tray can be handled again.   and i do not have to run to the kitchen oven.

if someone wants to keep clay warm, one of them on the lowest setting would probably work well.  i don't know if i would leave it on overnight but maybe on a timer so clay would be warm by starting time.   i would wrap the clay in a thick, damp towel even if it is in a plastic bag.

if you are really cold, you are invited to my tiny studio in fl.  as long as you do all the math and heavy stuff.  

Archived