College Choices for Ceramics

Hello,

I'm hoping that you cangive me any information you may have about a few college ceramics programs. I have read through all the school websites and googled profs, and we have visited all the schools except Alfred which we will visit in March. My daughter has been accepted @ the following schools: SUNY @ New Paltz, University of Hartford, Alfred University and RIT. She is waiting to hear from Syracuse (portfolio already accepted). I can't seem to find anything that ranks undergraduate Ceramics programs, only Art programs in general. She is very undecided, but does think that Alfred may be too rural for her liking. @ this point I am concerned about New Paltz as 1 of 2 of the Ceramics Professors left last month and it seems as if they are not refilling that spot. This makes me worry about the school's commitment to the program in light of NY's budget woes.

I'm not asking for other school suggestions, just any thoughts on the one's listed above. Thank you in advance, any information I can give my daughter to help her decision is greatly appreciated! So, if $ was not the issue which would you suggest and why?

All good programs. If it were my child I would direct them probable towards Alfred. I think RIT would be as equally a great choice. Not sure on what is going on with the other schools. Looks like your an east coaster. Probably one of the best things for a student is to get out of dodge. Bozeman MT, Logan Utah, San Jose State, Berkley, UW Seattle, Central Washington University, ... there are so many on both coasts. And lets not forget the middle of the country! I know you didn't ask for other suggestions, but there are a few. So the main thing is that the student is addicted to this! Sounds like she is! LAck of motivation or strong work ethic in even the best program can lead to lack of gaining the knowledge that it takes to go onto graduate school or become a professional. Installation, Utility or sculptural directions are some major considerations when choosing a school. That is why I said Alfred because their program is incredibly well round. Good luck and I am sure with such a wonderfully support parent like yourself you kid will have that great nurturing from the home front too! Best, Stephen. <div><br></div><div>PS Get two plane tickets and bring her to the NCECA conference in Seattle. LIFE CHANGER! The conference is at the end of March. It should be a GREAT time to be in Seattle!!  </div>

post-6423-132977863825_thumb.jpgpost-6423-132977874349_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your reply Stephen! She certainly is addicted to clay, and has a great work ethic to boot! Funny thing is, she didn't have any exposure to it until 2 years ago when she was put in a high school pottery class only because photograghy was full! Since that time she has wowed us all with her accomplishments. She recently found out that she has won Regional Gold Key Awards for 3 individual pieces and her portfolio, and 4 Silver Key Awards for 4 other pieces of pottery in the National Scholastic Art and Writing Contest. Now her gold medal works will be judged on the national level. This could mean some nice scholarship money on top of the great offers she has already recieved! She is on the train home from RIT right now and seems excited about what she has seen there. She will be doing an overnight with an Art student @ U of Hartford this week as well. We will be visiting Alfred next month (that is where her teacher went) but she really does feel like the school itself is too small and in a very rural area. It's hard to know what her focus will be in college, but right now she is really loving doing work that involved detailed carvings on it. I attached a couple of pics to show you. Sorry - proud mom:rolleyes: !

At this point she thinks she would like to teach Ceramics @ a College or High School but we know that may change too!

post-6423-132977863825_thumb.jpg

post-6423-132977874349_thumb.jpg

If you want to keep her in the Urban eastern US several more come to mind

Portland School of Art in Maine,

Phila. University of the Arts in Phila.,

Penn State University College Station

Penn State-Erie

West Virginia University in Morgantown

Arcadia College outside of Phila.

Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore

Cleveland Art Institute

Appalachian Center for Crafts (not urban) part of Tennessee Tech

University of Mass. Amherst

NY State Ithaca

Rochester Insitute of Technology, School of American Craft

Thanks for the suggestions Marcia, but I was really hoping for any specific knowledge folks may have about the following schools that my Senior daughter has been accepted to already:

- Alfred

- University of Hartford

- SUNY @ New Paltz

- Rochester Institute of Technology

- Syracuse University (waiting for acceptance info still)

Thank you for any feedback!

Thanks for the suggestions Marcia, but I was really hoping for any specific knowledge folks may have about the following schools that my Senior daughter has been accepted to already:

- Alfred

- University of Hartford

- SUNY @ New Paltz

- Rochester Institute of Technology

- Syracuse University (waiting for acceptance info still)

Thank you for any feedback!

Alfreds is at the top for me-They have tops in industry ceramics tied to art ceramics-Have always been historically in the top of ceramic schools.

I know many graduates of Alfred's and none wished they went elsewhere-top notch facilities-not sure on budget woes there now?

The other schools all good but Alfred's for ceramics.

My 3 cents

Mark

Potter's mom;

I went to graduate school at Alfred. Or the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred. Alfred has the biggest and best kiln room I have ever seen. Something like 22 kilns. An indoor salt kiln. A soda kiln, a wood kiln. A four foot wide low flat kiln for platters. Alfred developed Corning ware and tiles for the space shuttle.Alfred is a village, but there are other towns around it like Hornell. You are also close to Buffalo and Rochester, and close to the Pennsylvania border.I graduated in the 80's, so couldn't tell who is teaching there now. I had great profs, and great classmates. I would highly reccomend it as a school.

TJR.

Thank you Marcia! I have another question too. D was told that there are 5 Ceramics undergrad and 3 grad majors in Ceramics @ RIT. Is that unusual to be so small? I think Syracuse told us there were about 20 Ceramic undergrads and a few grad students. We are headed out to Hartford today and will check there as well. I know Ceramics is not a popular major, so just wondering what is typical, and how do small #s impact the learning environment? Sorry to keep bothering you folks, but this is all new to me and I want to be able to give D as much knowledge as possible to help her decide which is right for her.

Your daughter might consider going to Platz for her undergrad degree and Alfred for her masters. When I was in college Alfred was considered the best ceramic program in the US and getting your masters there was the ultimate achievement. The academic degree progression use to have you get your undergrad at one college and then your masters at another to widen your horizons by learning from other professors. I remember that they wouldn't have that many openings and the applicants would sweat over their portfolio praying they would be accepted. I don't know if any of this is still valid with the economic crisis the country is in, but you might want to check it out. I hope your daughter wins a gold medal in the nationals, I won one many decades ago. Denice

Archived