Mason Stains

i have never used mason stains.. been told that i can mix mason stain into clear glaze and fire @ cone 06 ??? can mason stains be mixed with water and applied to bisque paper clay , re fire and then apply cone 06 glaze and refire? thanks for any help, nanci

i have never used mason stains.. been told that i can mix mason stain into clear glaze and fire @ cone 06 ??? can mason stains be mixed with water and applied to bisque paper clay , re fire and then apply cone 06 glaze and refire? thanks for any help, nanci

I am requesting information on application and firing of mason stains to bisque paper clay is because I did not want to mix mason stain into unfired clay or slip. I am unable to find information on line regarding firing at 06 cone mixed with clear glaze. I plan to use on an outdoor sculture to create unique shades/ colors not available in underglazes.

Different web sites have varying information regarding mixing mason stains with clear glazes. Some state that only non- talc glazes can be used some disagree.

Below is a quote from a website selling mason stains. "

Mason is one of the leading

stain manufacturers

in the United States. We

carry the complete Mason

color line. They give

color to glazes, slips and

clay bodies. Most Mason

stains can be used at any

temperature.

I just started using Mason Stains. When you mix them with glaze they come out transparent. I mixed my stain with nepheline syenite (equal parts) and water to a thin consistancy and painted over clear glaze and fired to cone ^6. Sharon

Here are some pictures of some things I done with mason Stains. The Sunflower was a yellow glaze with Lobster stain over top of it. The pansy was a white glaze with Lavender and purple stains over top. The cup is Yellow Glaze on the outside and White on the inside. Eric's Hot Dog plate is unfired, (clear glaze, with Black, lobster and Fawn over top.) Sharon

post-2017-12751581177903_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581386278_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581555275_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581732387_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581177903_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581386278_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581555275_thumb.jpg

post-2017-12751581732387_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am requesting information on application and firing of mason stains to bisque paper clay is because I did not want to mix mason stain into unfired clay or slip. I am unable to find information on line regarding firing at 06 cone mixed with clear glaze. I plan to use on an outdoor sculture to create unique shades/ colors not available in underglazes.

Different web sites have varying information regarding mixing mason stains with clear glazes. Some state that only non- talc glazes can be used some disagree.

Below is a quote from a website selling mason stains. "

Mason is one of the leading

stain manufacturers

in the United States. We

carry the complete Mason

color line. They give

color to glazes, slips and

clay bodies. Most Mason

stains can be used at any

temperature.

You usually will find a list of codes before or after the entire list of Mason stains. It is a reference chart describing the Max. temperatures, limits of which types of fluxes will work with particular stains, and which will not. For example a certain pink may not work with calcium in the glaze or an orange may not like zinc or may need zinc in the glaze. Read these carefully before purchasing stains. Also it states whether they can be used in a clay body or a glaze. Mason stains are a fritted material.They need a carrier to adhere to a surface such as an engobe base , or a glaze or a clay body. They are specific combinations to achieve colors and will react positively or negatively when mixed with specific chemicals. Follow the manufacturer's charts.

Archived