Re-Fire to sooth out thickness?

GreyBird

Hi all,

So I mixed this glaze I loved which worked perfectly on the test tile but apparently I put it on too thick on three mugs. If I refire them in my next load is it likely to smooth out (see pics around the rim) or should I not even waste the kiln space.

-Mary

DSC_0018 2.jpg

In similar situations, I have had some thick glazes even out in a refire before.  It does not always work perfectly, but usually provides some better results.  My assumption is that glaze melts a bit more on the second glaze firing than the first.  I also have found better results with a slightly higher glaze firing temperature.

When I was first experimenting with supporting objects glazed all around, I had some stands that failed and allowed objects to become glazed together.  After separating the objects, I ground off the glaze around the separation points and reglazed.  After refiring, the glaze formed a sealed glossy coat, but the coloration was a bit different on the repair places.  I have also noticed on a few of the glazes I have used that a second glaze fire changes the color slightly.  One particular glaze was Laguna's ^06 Danish Blue, which increased in transparency and depth/darkness of blue after two glaze firings, which was I result I wanted.  I have not tested it yet, but I hope to achieve the same effect with only one firing now that I am glaze firing to ^04. 

It also seems likely that a hold after the second glaze firing should allow for more flowing time for the glaze to even out.  This worked for me recently when I had bubbles clouding a clear glaze that was applied too thickly.

Archived