glazing in red and black

Pawelpksa

Hi,

I'm looking for a tip how to achieve the following effect in glazing.

See the picture of lava flow.  It is black with grey patches and red lines. What you see in the photo is not ceramics  but I need to emulate it on a ceramic. I have a razor with scales from this material and now need to make a box for shaving foam (quite similiar to a regular butter bell) and shaving scuttle.

I thought about glazing white clay with glossy black glaze, waxing , then scrubbing the unregular lines and then adding red glaze. Does it make sense or there is better method?

I also have problem with red glaze itself. I go for cone 6 and the red glazes that I use run and tend to change color. Can you recommend good one?

thanks

kirinite-lf.jpg

reynolds-small2.jpg

I made something like this in the picture by mixing porcelain with the same porcelain coloured with blue pigment and then throwing that on the wheel. I’m not sure if that is marbling or nerikomi technique (?). The effect is nice and would fit for the purpose if I do the same with black and red pigments.

But…..

1. Red pigment is an issue. I looked into 3 different local pottery suppliers and cannot find red pigment. They offer various colors but not red. There is red-brown or pink, but that all is far away from red (any similar to the red of the razor’s scales). Do you have any experience with red pigment which can be used in cone 6? I found some over-glaze paints with beautiful reds which get mature at 800C or 1050C but they require quick cycles (30 or 60 min) which is not achievable in home studio.
  2. The red rim would be an option, but all red glazes which I used in past (3-4) are kind of running glazes, so the rim is the worse place to apply them. Can you give suggestion for high temperature nice red not running glaze?
  3. I have not experience with underglazes at all

brushes.jpg

One update. I have found red pigment. The issue is that it contains cadmium and Terra-Color does not say (unless I'm wrong) if after firing in 1250C with the porcelain or clay it becomes safe.

Mason stains are not available in Poland. Terra-Color provides some nice red pigments. Both formulas from mason and terra, as well as from others, contain cadmium. Terra declared they use inclusion pigment.

So, I will try to do Agateware with porcelain colored with black and red pigments. Later, I can post results.

I still need to read and learn how to handle cadmium based powders and wet clay in a safe way.

Another suggestion: if I were going for this look, I'd apply black underglaze with a brush, let dry then drag bright red underglaze over the surface using a finer brush, making sure the red 'strings' are applied as two coats at least in part. I'd do some tests so see how high I'd have to fire to get the underglazes to run together, if it's porcelain fired at cone 6 that should do it, but you could try a clear glaze over all. I've gotten some underglazes to run together really nicely as long as it's mid-fire temps. 

Your striping looks just fine. I think the red match is perfect and the two stripes are just enough of a reference to the razor. If your agateware (that's what your throwing two colors together is called) experiments don't achieve the colors you want - which, I agree, would look very cool - I would go with this model. 

Is this a single order, or are you planning to make a larger quantity? 

Thanks. I'm also surprised by the match in colors and quality of the red glaze. I expected troubles.

At the moment I've received pigments and will experiment with agateware, probably later will need to glaze with transparent glossy.

This is not an order, just fun.

BTW, there is inner part of the box, also in black and red stripes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That really looks like airbrush work to me. Painting the base red and  black and  airbrushing  the highlights fairly easy task if one is inclined or experienced .  I probably would  end up adding some depth and highlight to the red but that is personal  preference of course. At my age flames on custom cars and boats were common so we all learned how. Simple look for an airbrush artist using underglaze and then glaze firing the  whole object with clear  glaze.

Archived