Home studio progress

Starting to get somewhere on the home studio finally! My kiln vent is supposed to be delivered today and I got a work table mostly completed, just needs the canvas top, and I got a shelf put together. Seems like I still need a thousand little things, lol, like a scale, but the bulk of it is falling into place. Last biggie is the glazes and I can start cranking out work here, after the learning curve associated with firing the kiln I'm sure.

Making some small pots with my recycled clay so I will have enough to load the kiln once the vent is installed, feels so good to throw at home instead of driving 20 miles through traffic!

room2.jpg.90351e436f5c75deee97fece03e353aa.jpg

Thanks! I made the table so it's open on that end and can be placed over the wheel when not in use. There is so little room I have to be proactive with space saving. I was originally going to put casters on the table but I'm not sure if the brakes will hold, so for now I cut some foam rubber and placed under the legs, holds the table in place fine for wedging and I can still slide it over the wheel without too much effort.

1 hour ago, shawnhar said:

Thanks! I made the table so it's open on that end and can be placed over the wheel when not in use. There is so little room I have to be proactive with space saving. I was originally going to put casters on the table but I'm not sure if the brakes will hold, so for now I cut some foam rubber and placed under the legs, holds the table in place fine for wedging and I can still slide it over the wheel without too much effort.

Looking at your studio it looks like heaven.  I'm going to take a picture of mine when I get home from work and show you what a proper space saving studio looks like.  Oh man, you're gonna love it. Hahaha

18 hours ago, shawnhar said:

Thanks oldlady! I am glad you said that as I was contemplating just using the plywood raw anyway, wedged up some clay on it already and it seemed to work fine and just wiped it down with a sponge like you said.

liambesaw I am looking forward to it!

Here it is, my shed along with my camping and fishing stuff.  I have my dinosaur wheel, a sink and my glazing stuff.  I have a board over my sink when I need to wedge or handbuild something.

My kiln is outside in my driveway, I'll post a picture of that too.

IMG_20180907_094025-1612x1209.jpg

Here's my kiln, it's 8 cubic feet flat pack kiln that I'll be putting a downdraft chimney on when I can get around to it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1Z4Nfef

Sorry about the mess in the 'studio', I actually had to remove it all to get the ladders down so we could paint the living room last weekend and I haven't gotten around to putting everything away.  But like I said, your space is heaven haha

Look into cement board for your table top. The 1/2 hardie backer board I have has a smooth side which the side I use. The 3/8 board has light texture on 1 side.

I also use backer board for the wedging table. This stuff will suck up water so a sponge down prior to wedging or rolling out slabs using my rolling pin and various sizes of dowels.

Looking good, shawnhar.

Archived