Hannahs Blue Fake Ash Glaze

I am new to the community.  My website is Eastwood Pottery

I have a question regarding Hannah's Fake Blue Ash glaze.  My glaze always comes out brown.  I left out the RIO and just used the Cobalt Oxide but I still for the life of me cannot get blue.  Does anyone out there have success using the blue ash glaze and do you use cobalt oxide as in the recipe?

31 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

@Eastwood Pottery Are you sure your cobalt is cobalt? At 1.3% you should be getting a blue background for sure. Have you used the same cobalt in other glazes?

It doesn't look underfired to me. Plenty runny.

I'm no expert, and I would agree that it looks plenty runny, but some of the runny bits look "puffy" and more matte, like an underfired glaze.  I have zero experience with this glaze, just something that I noticed.

Brown is almost always caused by iron in my experience.  Redart has a massive amount of iron in it.  This is probably completely overwhelming the much smaller amount of cobalt in the recipe.  Try substituting some other kaolin/clay for, say, half of the red art.

18 minutes ago, curt said:

Brown is almost always caused by iron in my experience.  Redart has a massive amount of iron in it.  This is probably completely overwhelming the much smaller amount of cobalt in the recipe.  Try substituting some other kaolin/clay for, say, half of the red art.

Redart has about 7% iron, and by the time it's diluted with everything else in the recipe it's about 4.1%, which is not all that much. You can see a tile of that recipe HERE.

2 minutes ago, GEP said:

The recipe in Neil’s link notes that they used a local red clay instead of redart. I would still recommend to OP to replace the redart with something lighter. 

Even so, 4% iron isn't enough to wipe out 1.3% cobalt and turn it black with no hint of blue whatsoever.

20 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Even so, 4% iron isn't enough to wipe out 1.3% cobalt and turn it black with no hint of blue whatsoever.

I’ll take your word for it. I admittedly do not have much experience with blue glazes.

@Eastwood Pottery could you possibly have mis-measured the cobalt oxide? Oxide is super-concentrated, far more than cobalt carb. The oxide is often a component in black stains. A small measuring mistake can make a big difference. 

• neilestrick changed the title to Hannahs Blue Fake Ash Glaze

My guess is that you are not using cobalt oxide;  probably manganese oxide; both materials are black powders.

Try this:  take a small white porcelain test tile, and mix a little bit of your "cobalt oxide" a little bit of baking soda in water and make  marks on the test tile.  Then fire normally.  If the marks are not a strong blue, your material is not cobalt oxide!.  

As a footnote, I always use cobalt carbonate rather than cobalt oxide because the carbonate form is cheaper per atom of cobalt AND cobalt carbonate is NOT black. 

LT

Archived