How many mugs with 3 gallons of dipping glaze?

shawnhar

It depends on how thickly you apply your glaze, the water content of your glaze, and how big your mugs are. With those variables the total number could vary by double. Plus there's a point at which you don't have enough in the bucket to completely submerge your pot and can't be used without making more glaze. That level will vary depending on whether or not it's an 8oz mug or a 14oz mug. In 3 gallons there may only be 1 gallon of usable glaze volume. Your best bet is to weigh one of your mugs immediately before and after glazing and divide that into the weight of the full bucket, then see how much of the bucket volume you can actually use based on the height of your mugs.

I mix a lot of my glazes in 3 gallon batches, and it's hard to say exactly how many mugs. I've never used a glaze for mugs only. I would venture easily 100 14 oz mugs. And I transfer glaze into a smaller container as the level in the bucket goes down too. The tall plastic pails from the movie theatre are nice for the purpose. 

36 minutes ago, Babs said:

What is a movie theatre bucket?   Sounds a useful item.

I use a cereal container  tall and narrow to glaze small plates vertically with a little glaze volume.

Now what have others used for pots?

Hey Babs...

How many plates can you get out of a large box of Frosted Flakes? :huh:

Archived