Help, Do I Need To Re Bisque Fire My Pieces?

Sharon

I just dipped my pieces in my glaze and there were a lot of pin holes, so I rinsed off the glaze. Do I need to re bisque fire my piece before I try to glaze it again? The specific Gravity of the glaze is 1.45. Should it be thinner for dipping? Sharon

Guest Sherman

I just dipped my pieces in my glaze and there were a lot of pin holes, so I rinsed off the glaze. Do I need to re bisque fire my piece before I try to glaze it again? The specific Gravity of the glaze is 1.45. Should it be thinner for dipping? Sharon

Sharon,

Mixing thinner may help, and wetting the bisque first may help as well (particularly if it has a textured surface). Quickly dipping a dry piece of bisque in clean water before dipping into a glaze can sometimes help to "pull" the water in the glaze into all the small nooks and crannies it would otherwise trap air in and therefore not adhere to the piece, causing a hole in the raw glaze.

You might also try mixing a very small amount of your glaze with way too much water and either brushing or pouring it over the piece to fill in those spaces, then dip as normal after that initial coat has dried.

Hope this helps,

Sherman

Thanks Sherman, I let you Know how this comes out after I fire these pieces. Sharon

• 3 weeks later...

Sharon, Have you tried wetting the bisque as Sherman suggested? I have been struggling with pinholes as well.. please post your results if you did.

pinholes can come from a variety of sources - Sherman's suggestion is the first line of defense. Also make sure the wares aren't dust covered. And, some clay body formulations promote pinholes, as do certain glaze formulations. Some people like pinholing and might use a punky clay body and a glaze 100% feldspar to achieve. Go figure.

h a n s e n

• 2 weeks later...

no you do not have to rebisque your pots before glazing again. just wipe off the glaze with wet sponge or better still scrape off with a metal rib back into the glaze bucket-when completely dry to touch (doesn't feel cool) you may reglaze.

Sherman gives good advice. Also after the glaze dries, use a dry finger to rub the pinholes smooth.

Archived