• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,060 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

My question is: Do changes from flocculants and materials like Veegum T effect the measurements of the viscometer in the same way as simply adding water does, especially if both or all are used on the same glaze?

Yes, you have a generally good handle on the wet nature of the glaze slurry..... more than most potters seem to.

The use of the flow cup vioscometer is so that once you have found the application characteristics that you desire (through trial and error experimentation and is a VERY personal aspect), including any and all additions to the slurry like defloculants, floculants, and adhesive gums, you can then reproduce the characteristics for consistent application qualities. Yes, it does affect the nature of the flow through the cup's orfice... which is exactly what you want. Becasue it is the nature of the blend of ALL raw materials and their water based characteristics that greatly affect the way the wet glaze goes onto the bisque.

Keep in mind that NO single tool or test will tell the totally full story when assessing most any kind of stuff. The more data you have, measureing more specific characteristics, and the more accurate that data is (good measurement tools), the more information you will have to work with. This is where industry kicks studio potter's butts in the fired success rate department.

Pint weight (weight of a fixed amount of glaze slurry) and specifc gravity really do not take this aspect into account. They can be the "starting point" for getting the new batch of glaze initially set up........ but then you need to add in the use of the flow cup viscometer for the final adjustments to the wet batch.

Thank you for any help you can give on this. However, if I should be consulting a for fee expert for this type of question then I apologize. I'm just getting into the glaze thing and can't get enough information.

No apology necessary. I do do this kind of technical consulting professionaly.......... and of course teach it a the college level (ceramic materials science and kiln design and operation) but anything I do on here in these CAD forums is given quite freely and gladly.

So "No worres mate".

best,

.................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#22 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Use your hand. Using a viscometer for glazes is like using a Griffin Grip or Bailey Quick Trim for trimming instead of just learning to tap it centered. Pulling your hand out of a bucket of glaze and watching it drip off your fingers is much better than using a can with a hole in it.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#23 yedrow

yedrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks John, I'll need some consulting at some point. Right now I'm gathering questions to ask while slamming a slab of plaster against my face.

Jim, I'm right there with you on the Griffin Grip types of tools, including extruded mug handles. Such things put potters in a box that is difficult to get out of, from what I've seen.

It's skills mang, mad skills...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users