My work

Guest ---

Randall welcome to the forum, I love your work I have already learned something from you, I have had an idea for a fireplace surround rolling around in my mind but had never considered raku clay for it. My work for the past 5 years has involved interior and exterior fountains and murals, I hope will make some good connections with other artists on this forum. Denice

Randall welcome to the forum, I love your work I have already learned something from you, I have had an idea for a fireplace surround rolling around in my mind but had never considered raku clay for it. My work for the past 5 years has involved interior and exterior fountains and murals, I hope will make some good connections with other artists on this forum. Denice

Wow fantastic work, I would love to learn more about what you are doing! I do loads of tile work and murals as well but would love to do something in that style. I have done a art deco like mermaid in tiles and love the style. Opps having problems attaching a pic...will try later Trina

With that model and mold recently finished, I have another in this series already started, which will take after this 1928 panel;

ZkNwk.jpg

The work in progress so far;

9P6Qk.jpg

Last year I modelled this large lion from over 900# of water clay, he's seen sitting dry now on a dolly in my little modelling studio. I estimated it is about 650#. He got a bit too firm to cut with a wire, I was going to cut the head and wings off and the body in half and maybe make a mold of the head, but it dried a little too firm for that, so I left it as it was.

I had no specific plans for him, it was mostly a personal challenge, and because I saw a pair on a Louis Sullivan bank and thougth I would try making one since I found the original drawings of them with measurements.

1ATU4.jpg

MSld3.jpg

J8FkM.jpg

Welcome to the forums, I hope we will see your presence here more often. I find your work marvelous, and the deco style is definitely striking. Looking forward to more posts.

Wow fantastic work, I would love to learn more about what you are doing! I do loads of tile work and murals as well but would love to do something in that style. I have done a art deco like mermaid in tiles and love the style. Opps having problems attaching a pic...will try later Trina

Trying again with the picture.....post-8183-132873469106_thumb.jpg it worked i think....

post-8183-132873469106_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for such a wonderful post. Your work is beautiful.

Regarding the working on glass - some time ago, I made a relief tile panel which I sculpted in one piece and tiled later and I covered my plywood panel with clingfilm. This worked a treat as it protected the wood and "shrank" with the clay panel which I dried Very Slowly under plastic

I love this forum and find it extremely informative, but you may also like to try http://www.heidimaiers.com/main.htm for a more sculpture-biased forum

Thanks again for sharing your lovely work

Christine

I must be going crazy because I could have swore I already responded to this.. lately I have thought I have made responses to posts to only go back and not see anything, hmmm.

ANYHOW.. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your amazing work with us!

Randall I will definitely try the raku clay for the fire place project, I have used raku clay in the past for raku firing, I'm lucky I have a ceramic supplier here in town. I love your lion and the complications you had to contend with was unimaginable although I do understand the weight problems. I belonged to a sculpture group for 10 years we did mostly portraiture work, I was working on a lifesize piece from the waist up of a grandmother holding a child. It got so heavy it crushed to table it was on I was there at the time so I was able to fix any damage. Denice

Thank you so much for such a wonderful post. Your work is beautiful.

Regarding the working on glass - some time ago, I made a relief tile panel which I sculpted in one piece and tiled later and I covered my plywood panel with clingfilm. This worked a treat as it protected the wood and "shrank" with the clay panel which I dried Very Slowly under plastic

Thank you Christine, yeah the glass and the shrink wrap idea is the same, It wasn't that the glass wouldnt shrink- it's the glass prevented the BOTTOM of the slab of clay from getting any air circulation at all- the plastic wrap would have had the same result there. The result was the 4 sides and top of the slab all dried quickly and started to shrink, while the bottom stayed soft, and that was causing a curling up where the center of the slab was flat on the glass but the front, rear and sides were pulling up, and at one point there was a good 1/4" gap all around because of that.

My problem was the weight- 850 pounds, and the lion' s sitting up on a relatively small area, plus the fact it's heavy upper body was starting to lean forward.

I could do nothing with the base and bottom till it was all firm enough to survive the crushing force from straps to hoist it up off the modelling stand, and that was what worked fine in the end.

Hi again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't worked as large as your lion but I have seen people using iron mesh reinforced plaster slabs instead of glass. The benifit of this is that you can let the bottom go off a bit as the plaster is sucking the water, but if things get too dry you can water the plaster bat which helps keep the bottom leathery hard. I don't know if this method would help you or not. I do know that in terms of bigger/ heavier mural work, working on a non flexible fiberglass panel covered in burlap works well. Best Trina

Mossyrock

Welcome to the forum Randall! Your work is wonderful! You mentioned making a silicone mold of the sculpture.....can you describe that process and where you get the silicone? I'm also interested in the cast stone material

Thank you, your best bet is to smooth-on.com and browse their extensive videos and tutorials, it's far too involved and complex to do in a text description here, it's best seen in a video.

Make no mistake, the silicone mold rubber is not cheap, it's a platinum cure composition and as you know platinum is a very costly metal. I generally figure on $300 for costs per mold for materials for pieces like that Art Deco panel pictured since their normal size kit is 2 gallons which runs a little over $200 plus UPS.

</h3>

<h3>trina

HI again, I would love some more info about cast stone....what reading material can you recommend. Trina

Well, "cast stone" is just a generic term for any material you add water to that chemically hardens, anything from Plaster of Paris to concrete, like "xerox" is a generic term for all copies you make on a copy machine.

Most people use hydrocal or hydrostone, but its not available near me anywhere, and while I can ORDER it from a supplier 2 horus away, they dont stock or carry it, so they have to order a full pallet worth-

(40) 100 pound bags of it which plus the freight is around $2500

However, I found the place i get my clay from- Continental clay, in Minnisota has a comparable product by another maker, and in 50 pound bags which is a DREAM come true!

Whats even better is I can order what I need as they stock it.

Lets face it, hauling flimsy, easy to break, hard to grab hold of paper sacks of hydrocal weighing 100# thru the house, down a flight of stairs to the basement is a real pain in the behind, not to mention when there's 40 of them that have to come inside right on delivery day in case of rain.

50# bags are MUCH nicer!

The stuff K5 densite runs about 43 cents a pound, 1,000# ran me about $430 plus about $125 for freight, but I lucked out recently, they shipped the wrong stuff by accident, they had gotten a shipment of FAST set formula from the supplier and didn't realize it, didn't even know they HAD different formulas.

I get the bags home and needed to cast a couple of pieces and man,the stuff set so fast I almost couldn't get it poured out of the pail before it did. They called me up and asked if I had gotten into the bags yet, yep I had :)

Well, long story short, they got the right regular set stuff in and replaced the entire 1,000 shipment for free, including freight, and said not to return the other stuff. I found that if I mix them 50/50 the set time is just about normal, so I got about $525 worth of the material at no charge which I will be able to make use of rather than discarding.

Keep in mind none of these products can be placed outdoors, hydrocal, hydrostone etc are all interior only.

Hi again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I haven't worked as large as your lion but I have seen people using iron mesh reinforced plaster slabs instead of glass. The benifit of this is that you can let the bottom go off a bit as the plaster is sucking the water, but if things get too dry you can water the plaster bat which helps keep the bottom leathery hard. I don't know if this method would help you or not. I do know that in terms of bigger/ heavier mural work, working on a non flexible fiberglass panel covered in burlap works well. Best Trina

I wish I did understand as I thought both you and he had been warmly welcomed to the board.

There was a thread a short while ago that pretty well showed most of us did not even know that feature was there or what it was for. One had even used it by accident and could not get it changed. I thought that thread showed none of us were particularly for it but it was part of the software.

The entire community is not responsible for one person putting a check against a post so we should not all be rejected and blamed for it. It is his right to take offense and storm off but I would have preferred him sticking around and giving the forum more than a couple days before deciding we were awful.

Not sure what happened here but I thought that work was great-something about giant clay pieces that are exciting -It was good to see someone push the envelope of clay.

Sad to see him go-On these public forums its best to have thick skin

I hope he returns-one bad egg comment does not mean we all are bad

-come on back Randall

Mark

blink.gif I personally think this was taken way too personally and out of proportion. As artists, shouldn't we be open to criticism in all forms or at least tolerant? To become that upset over something so minor does not bode well for an artists ability to grow, learn and survive (or for anyone for that matter)... Just my opinion, choose your battles wisely... huh.gif

My sentiments are with Chris and Buckeye.

As you can see, I am new to the forum and I am not comepletely familiar with all of the options available. I did not know about the plus or minus signs on the comments, and I did not know that we could critique work in the gallery, even though I probably would not use this feature. I do not know how Randal was offended, and I hope he will rethink his reaction. I have to say that I am really enjoying this forum and have learned a lot from others.

It took me a while to figure out how to post an image of my work. Don't worry, I'll get there. Happy Valentines' Day everyone!

TJR.

Archived