80 mesh sieve to fit over 1 gallon container

Ginny C

Is there a sieve (probably 80 mesh) made that will fit over various containers, all smaller than the standard 5 gallon size? It would need to have sloping sides, with the mesh set into the middle. Not the straight sided ones or the standard plastic (with brass mesh) that are designed for large glaze containers. And I don't want to spend the $$ for a Talisman sieve! Will the Laguna Lab sieve work over a 1 gallon bucket without sliding off? Does anyone know the diameter of the flat part of those sieves?I would use it to sieve slips and glazes, sometimes as little as 1 pint and sometimes 1 gallon.I've googled and binged this question to no avail and would like get an answer from a real potter!

I have seen some plastic bowl ones with a flat bottom with a smaller area brass screen in bottom that are cheap as far as cost

I'm sure you can find them .

I do not own one as I have all the ones you already mentioned-most all of them little used except the talisman and my baby talismans which Laguna knocked off(copied)

Mark

Ginny,

You can make your own sieve. Cheap and easy. Get the cheap plastic mixing bowls. The kind that come four to a set with lids. Cut the bottom out and stretch a piece of curtain "sheer" over the outside of the hole as tightly as possible and secure it with duct tape. It's at least 80 mesh and you can make several sizes to fit different containers. I have a commercial one and two homemade ones and honestly the homemade ones are easier to use because the curve of the bowl sits in the bucket better. I got the curtain fabric at a yard sale, and one panel has lasted for years. It doesn't take much. Of course the duct tape is not permanent but it does last a pretty long time if you don't leave it sitting in water, and it's easy enough to replace. When I made the first one I tried to get all fancy, sealing it with silicone, but that really wasn't necessary and it peeled off over time anyway.

Here is what I suggested they are 25$

LLC Lab Sieves, by Cole

look at them at

bigceramicstore.com

Mark

I know about these, Mark, but I don't know if they will stay put over a smaller container than the 5 gallon one that they are designed to fit! I sure wouldn't want it to slide off the top, spilling glaze! I'm not using big quantities of glazes, so I don't use 5 gallon buckets. However, it just occurred to me that I could find a plastic bowl that this sieve would fit over and use that to sieve into, then pour the glaze into whatever lidded container I will store it in. I think I'll order a sieve and take it around to find a bowl it fits!

One thing you could do is take a one gallon bucket lid, cut out the top, put 80 mesh screening in and attach by running window screen cord in the groove of the lid. I made these for 5 gallon buckets 40 years ago. They worked. Finding the right mesh screen may be the hardest part.

Marcia

You may not want to invest in a Talisman sieve but it is well worth the money. I finally broke down and bought one and it has reduced the time spent in sieving by almost 90%. Plus it works well with any size container. Time is money.

Ginny C

I thick that screen will work fine on a 1 gallon bucket as the screen is a small one in the center

Craig is right on the talisman.I can not live without one

If you are full time or using a sieve a lot it makes sense-if not well its a bit pricy

One other cheaper way is glue some brass screen into a plastic bowl with hole cut in bottom . JB weld will work 1st scratch up the plastic surface where glue goes

Mark

Here is what I suggested they are 25$

LLC Lab Sieves, by Cole

look at them at

bigceramicstore.com

Mark

I know about these, Mark, but I don't know if they will stay put over a smaller container than the 5 gallon one that they are designed to fit! I sure wouldn't want it to slide off the top, spilling glaze! I'm not using big quantities of glazes, so I don't use 5 gallon buckets. However, it just occurred to me that I could find a plastic bowl that this sieve would fit over and use that to sieve into, then pour the glaze into whatever lidded container I will store it in. I think I'll order a sieve and take it around to find a bowl it fits!

That's what I do for tests and small batches, works great. I bought a set of aluminum mixing bowls and found them very useful.

I use reusable auto paint strainers. They come in 80, 100, and 145 stainless steel mesh. I cut out the bottom of a plastic bowl and glued a strainer to it to fit larger buckets. They are very durable. I have one in use for glazes for over 15 years. You can Google reusable auto paint strainer and see them. Pictures of mine below.

Yes, I was an auto painter.

Aloha, Ken

post-8261-132858173027_thumb.jpg

post-8261-13285817453_thumb.jpg

post-8261-132858173027_thumb.jpg

post-8261-13285817453_thumb.jpg

When I make the odd sieve, I get some mesh from the hardware store and then I go to a plumbing supply store and buy as large as I want sewage connector pipes. One side is a bit bigger than the other so when you put the mesh on one side and then fit them together you get a super sieve. Hope that makes sense. Trina

I use reusable auto paint strainers. They come in 80, 100, and 145 stainless steel mesh. I cut out the bottom of a plastic bowl and glued a strainer to it to fit larger buckets. They are very durable. I have one in use for glazes for over 15 years. You can Google reusable auto paint strainer and see them. Pictures of mine below.

Yes, I was an auto painter.

Aloha, Ken

Great idea...going to Google right now! Thanks!

Pat

Archived