QotW: Are your handles the ear type, the D, droopy D or other shape?

Once again, I am trying to come up with a QothW, as there are no new ones posted in the question pool! Sooo as not too long ago someone posted about backfilling handles, and I have also posted in the studio about doing extruded handles, I will post here about the shape of the handle curve. I am certain that most of you have a preference in how the final curve of the handle looks.  So here is the question: Are your handles the ear type, the D, droopy D or other shape?

I have been doing handles on mugs this last few days, all extruded now with the electric extruder. What a time/effort saver. At any rate, once I put the handle on at the top, and drop the bottom and join both with magic water I add a center ball, impressed as a thumb rest, at the top and two smaller ones on either side pressed in with a rounded wooden rib to finish the handle lines into the mug. Then I arch the handle to a slightly drooping "D" and back fill the bottom. These usually fit well for two and 3 finger use depending on the mug size.

So how do you do handles in regard to the final shape of the handle as it profiles on the mug. By the way, even my teapot handles have the droopy "D", but they droop a little more.

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned and featured this topic

I am not a big mug maker but when I do I end up with a extruded D shaped handle with enough room for two or three fingers.   I have monster hands so if I can get two other people will be able to get three.   I tend to make handles that blend into the rim and foot,  more of a contemporary look.   The handle is wide enough you have a secure feel when holding it not a rolly polly  cup.   If I made mugs for production I would probably use a different handle,  these require more fussing than other type of handles.      Denice

Finished putting handles on yesterday. I think my handles qualify under the "Ear" classification. My handles are slab made. Cut a dogbone shape then curve it in the shape of an ear. I never really looked at it like an ear, but the ear shape it is. Since the backfill thread, I have been backfilling top and bottom connections. Glaze was piling up at the connection points because I would always paint 2 coats then spray a bit. Now with the backfill it looks a lot better. I still brush on 2 coats prior to spraying, but the glaze doesn't gather in the deep V created from the attachment. Yes it takes more time to fiddle with backfilling, but it Looks Good.

I'd gladly submit some potential questions but I can never find the place to post them!! Was looking for it the other night (& the search feature yields nothing).  I know I've been told where to find it before but I didn't write it down. I wish it was right "out there" somewhere.  :( And now, I've forgotten my question  :o

Handles....nope.  I know how to pull & attach 'em pretty well, actually, but I hate making mugs so I just don't.  

1 hour ago, LeeU said:

I'd gladly submit some potential questions but I can never find the place to post them!! Was looking for it the other night (& the search feature yields nothing).  I know I've been told where to find it before but I didn't write it down. I wish it was right "out there" somewhere.  :( And now, I've forgotten my question  :o

Handles....nope.  I know how to pull & attach 'em pretty well, actually, but I hate making mugs so I just don't.  

Look in this forum at the second thread. It is called QofW: Participants Questions...

I DID...I swear it WAS NOT THERE last night!!!!!!!!! I looked there and in Aesthetics & even Studio (tho I knew it wasn't there.) Thanks---It's a little crazy-making but it's definately there now! 

ANYWAY....here are some handles from when I used to do mugs. They're more like a capital C , maybe, than the other types. I like my mugs on the hefty side, with the handles in balance. 

20180822_231854sm.jpg

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...