How to throw this form in one piece?

https://goo.gl/images/H8JVSa

i am sad that both YouTube and clayflicks failed me in showing me how to throw this form. 

I know how to throw globular. But what about beyond that?

i remember a long time ago when I was just starting out someone talking about stretching the top part of the pot before doing the bottom to avoid collapse or vice versa.  I didn’t pay attention or understand because I had not sat on a wheel yet. 

I would imagine this pot needs either a heat gun or billow out the next day after some drying?

This is Ingleton Pottery throwing a Moon Jar - it is a start...Also in a Ceramics Monthly, I think it was Pottery Making Illustrated there is an article where the potter used a plumbing flange, or something, to hold the opening from collapsing. 

Thanks guys. This is the easy part. I can do a globular moon jar shape. 

Its the oblong seed jar shape I need help with. 

Which part is pulled out first to avoid collapse. The bottom or top?

i haven’t had time at the wheel to experiment myself.  

The article about using the plumbing flange thingy was in Pottery Making Illustrated. I tried it and highly recommend the technique but not the plumbing pipe. The PVC flanges were heavy on the top of the pot and clunky to use. I now use the cut-off top rim of a big plastic drink cup from your favorite dispensary of drivethru junk food, e.g., a Slurpy, Big Gulp, or supersized soft drink. The cup needs to have rim big enough to comfortably fit your fist through and a sturdy flanged edge that would otherwise hold the lid on the cup. Cut the rim off the cup with a knife and scissors (start a rough knife cut in the middle of the cup and then cut around and around with scissors to sneak up on the ridge around the cup just below the rim) so that you have a ring about 3/4" high.  (Picture below) Throw a tall thin-wall cylinder and collar/adjust the top rim of the cylinder so that the cup ring just fits inside. Gently work the ring down onto the cylinder rim until the flange of the cup ring is resting on the top of the cylinder wall. Gently collar the cylinder so that it is tight on the cup ring. This will solidly support the cylinder rim and keep it perfectly round. The problem I find with making the big bellied forms is the rim of the cylinder goes oval while stretching the belly, and then it collapses. This temporary plastic ring supports and prevents that. For an extreme belly, you may need to work in stages - stretch the belly a bit and let it rest for awhile to firm up (or, for the impatient,  torch it). When the belly is finished, gently lift the plastic ring out of the rim (or cut it off with a needle tool) and continue closing the form to whatever neck you desire.

20180816_125337[1].jpg

Archived