Pots in Movies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about the recent rash of ads featuring potters?  rash being more than one.  someone who is depressed and sitting at her wheel while her dejected family sits outside the window.   i spotted a different one in a series of shots of people doing various things for a sponsor i forget.  and of course, the silly one where a husband finishes off a tiny space and gives his wife a kickwheel in this "studio" filled with windows and not much else.

maybe potters are now considered ordinary enough to be included as normal people. :wacko:

For me a full timer those ads with always female hobbists-either depressed or in need of some drug just goes to show we are still outsiders .

My guess if it was 25 years ago they would be pouring bunny rabbit slip molds and really be in a funk.

The next ads they will have a blue dress on .

The single most ill conceived scene that has caused the most harm is the movie is Ghost.I cannot tell you how many women have mentioned that film to me.I think the drug companies have JUMPed on this bandwagon years later-they always are behind the curve.

Oldlady-you mean a room with all windows and nothing else is not enough ?I like the warnings after the ad like sudden death-dry throat -sweaty hands-jimmy leg-blurriness -dizzyness-upset stomach-maybe keeping away from pottery would be the best help?

Guest JBaymore

The single most ill conceived scene that has caused the most harm is the movie is Ghost.I cannot tell you how many women have mentioned that film to me.

Oh yeah!  That.  A film that shall live in infamy..........

I remember one evening when I was in Japan and was watching some Japanese TV.  A made for TV drama show came on.  Turns out the protagonist was a potter.  Shortened plot synopsis.......... 

She had a gallery show at a prestigious department store (THE major show venue in Japan) and had scored a big order with a major corporation client for providing a large number of expensive functional corporate gifts.  But then... oh my god... she discovered that her clay body was slightly weeping!  THAT was the core plot stress point around which the bulk of the show revolved!!!!  The rest of the show showed her diligent search in the studio, and ion consulting other potters for solving this dilemma in time to hit the order deadline.  Which of course she does in the absolute nick of time.  And all is happy ever after.

THIS was enough of a focus to warrant a mainstream TV slot.

There was also a weekly TV show in Japan.... "Yakimono Tambo".... "Pottery Pilgrimage".  Each week it documents a different studio ceramic artist .  It shows them working, their studio and home, firing their kilns (often woodfired), using the pieces they make in a food setting or if more sculptural in that kind of setting, talking about philosophy, talking about how they got where they are, and so on. In depth profiles. 

I love Japan.

best,

..................john

EDIT:  I just checked ... and you can buy some versions of Yakimono Tambo at the following website.  Note that they are all in Japanese, so unless you speak the language... you'll miss a lot.  But the visuals are typically very good.  I already own a lot of them that I bought when in Japan.  http://japanesepotterybooks.com/store/page3.html

The single most ill conceived scene that has caused the most harm is the movie is Ghost.I cannot tell you how many women have mentioned that film to me.

My wife and I have heard that too often, from both men and women. For some reason I need to remind them that I'm still alive. :D

We cut our cable about 5 years ago, at the time it was about $120 a month of nothing worthwhile. Now we have Netflix and Amazon Prime, together around $200 a year. There are a few ceramic documentaries on Prime.

Archived