Sign in to follow this  
PSC

Old shimpo wheel stuck in left hand mode

I have an old shimpo in my class studio that will no longer spin in the direction for normal right handed use. When the switch is put  the position for right mode it still spins the direction that left handers need. I have flipped the wheel over and looked at the switch, it does not look damaged and i see the contacts move when i flip it from left to right. Any advice?

The part of the mechanism i can see looks clean, all shiney in the light of my flashlight. That part of the control is at the top of the switch towards the wheelhead and i have just enough knowledge to look at things and see if they look odd, not enough to take the switch out and put it back in to get to that portion of the mechanism. Its one of those old shimpos with the orange metal base...i really don't know much about shimpos i know more about brents, soldners, and old creative industries now speedball but i have never taken out a switch in any of them.

I teach my lefties to throw with the wheel going counter-clockwise, as is the norm in most western cultures. Eastern cultures typically work clockwise. It's not really a right or left handed thing, although trimming can be a little easier for lefties with a clockwise wheel. The reason I don't let them switch the wheel direction is because many studios still have older wheels that do not reverse, and they may have to deal with that one day.

As for your wheel, the switch is probably corroded or bad. Clean it or replace it.

My rk-2 sometimes gets stuck in clockwise.

Here are my steps to fix it:

Turn off the wheel and wait until the motor spins down (it takes about 10-20 seconds and you'll hear a whir as the cone disengages)

Flip switch to counter clockwise (towards you)

Spin wheel counter clockwise with your hand, then engage the pedal while it's still spinning 

Kind of annoying, but I'm used to it now.

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

My rk-2 sometimes gets stuck in clockwise.

Here are my steps to fix it:

Turn off the wheel and wait until the motor spins down (it takes about 10-20 seconds and you'll hear a whir as the cone disengages)

Flip switch to counter clockwise (towards you)

Spin wheel counter clockwise with your hand, then engage the pedal while it's still spinning 

Kind of annoying, but I'm used to it now.

One of my classroom wheels, is the same way.  I point that out to students, but they still run into the issue.  It doesn't help, that  setting the wheel to "Forward", which makes the wheel go counter clockwise, is done by turning the switch backwards, towards the potter.  That is probably the biggest reason they make the mistake.

Then, when they realize it isn't go the right way, the think it's broken, when they stop the wheel, but don't wait for the motor to fully wind down, before trying to change direction.  

Still, I like the wheel, it's our best one actually, and it has served many years, and will continue to do so.

only a kick wheel in my throwing life went the other way.

all 5 of my Brents  only go one way

I'm a believer to learn that way . I art school not one person asked to learn the other direction -not one even on a kick wheel. I have yet too see a car made for lefties either.

Neil summed it up best

(I teach my lefties to throw with the wheel going counter-clockwise, as is the norm in most western cultures. Eastern cultures typically work clockwise. It's not really a right or left handed thing)

"...not really a right or left handed thing." 

Yep, sounds right t'me.

Right handed, I have set the wheel to counter clockwise to demonstrate (for cc classmates and friends), however, clockwise has been the "right" way for me from the start.