What kind of sander is this?

Hello!

I leave a lot of my pots unglazed on the outside wall, opting instead to double sand it at 120 and then 320 by hand -- i love the satin unglazed surface after the 320 grit
After making a thousand pots this year this way I decided to buy an electric sander for the purpose. I make anywhere from small 9 oz tumbler, to bowls, carafes, large serving bowls..etc.
What's the name of the sander I'm looking for? Would a "buff sander" do the job? Or a belt sander with special pad, or  drum sander...or?

Currently the best idea I have is an upside down orbit sander attached to a table.

Upside down orbital sander sounds like the right choice to me. It’s the gentlest of all the power sanders, and I like the idea that you can hold the pot with both hands while sanding. If you’re doing 1000 pots per year, make sure to wear a real respirator!

I, too, like the idea of the upside down orbital sander since it allows you to use both hands during your sanding operation, and there is a wonderful selection of sanding media available for use with these sanders. The belt sander will remove too much material too quickly with a lot less control.

JohnnyK

orbital sanders are the way to go-they have many setting and you could mount in a vise. I have a few brands like Milwaukee, Bosch ,Makita. Bosch is my favorite as it has a D handle.

Festool makes the. cadalac of them all.I have used one and wish I owed it.

As noted above there are lots of sanding media for them-I buy the sanding disks by the box.

You will probably need several different sizes  and shapes when it comes to sanders.   I have a Black and Decker Mouse sander that is handy,  it gets into small areas.  They don't last as long as I would like but I don't know of another brand that makes them.   Denice

My flap wheel is mounted in the chuck of a table drill press.   If I had a space on the workbench I would use the six inch grinder mounted flap wheel.  The flap wheels for drills can be used in either the fixed drill press on in the hand held drills.  

The local hardware stores do not have the range of sizes and mounting types that Grainger has, but I have gotten replacement wheels for my drill press setup  from the hardware section at Walmart.  

LT

A palm sander(Rockwell) is the most gentle but changing the sanding sheets is a pain.I go to mine when I need very gentle sanding -only one speed.The thing about an orbital it can adjust to many many speeds and orbits .

Archived