Just a question based on my experiences.

Brought to mind by Glazenerd's picture of gift fro. Friend.

Do your family and friends gift pots to you?

I find some friends get it but family and most others avoid giving me pots    because I am a potter.

I love pots as Gifts, receiving them, that is.

Do you receive want pots as Gifts?

I like generic gift cards and money.

Though I will say, my sister gave me a delighful commercially-made large mug in the form of a headgehog face-he is "adorable', and I'm not usually into "adorable", but I like him, and my daughter "made" me a glaze-your-own fairy from one of those places where you do that and it is right sweet-which I also don't normally care for.  

So, other than the caring gestures of close relatives, --no, please don't!!! 

Babs:

my family does not realize how far down the clay rabbit hole I really am, but then again I do not talk pottery around them. After 45 years of building houses, dealing with the public, everyone knowing my business: pottery is my hiding place. They do not know my studies have been published, nor do I discuss my research with friends or family. With one exception, my closest friend is also a master mathematician: he gets the techno talk. For awhile I discussed my theories and research here, but even that has fallen off.

i wrote my friend a thank you note and asked them in the future to only send ugly mugs. As soon as my wife laid eyes on it, she put it in her china cabinet. grrrrrrrr. Women!!!!! It had a manly man handle and everything...   Getting emotional now...LOL

T

Nope I have two boats and do not want a New one-no the fishing gear I have to much now-same with the dive gear-to much also .

No urns for the garden-Have enough yard art now.

I am moving 1,200#s of scrap copper and brass and  bronze from the yard to a scrap yard in Oakland-a friend is making the run. About 2/3 of it came from shipwrecks the rest is wire and plumbing scrap.-should net about 2k

Still have some choice pieces.Portholes and props.

Being in my mid-sixties, I really cannot collect anything more of anything, except that I keep accumulating books and journals. I went to a gorgeous arts fair yesterday and came home with a 5" by 8" print created from an intentional coffee spill and dark umbre ink pen.  I can tack it up on my studio wall.

The older or more constrained someone is, the more  generous I think it is really to consider that person when contemplating a gift. People have very different tastes, and it is better not to saddle people with things that they really don't need, particularly if there are other things they do need, such as maybe help with something.

That said, I have bought pots for myself. I wouldn't buy a mug, because I have too many, but my pie pan just cracked and I don't feel confident making something myself for oven use.

I like to encourage other people's work in small ways. 

Well I love pots  , op shops are a must for me.

I guess living on a small island I love getting gems from other folks kilns.

Yes I have enough of everything.

Children with children gets a lot of pots out of My cupboards.

A recent gift from a sister from Bermuda is a little lava glazed hand hewn pot with a smooth gloss interior. Just a glimpse of another world...

NO, I do not get pots from family or friends. Most of them figure if I don't have it, I'll make it. They're right.

I have been given some pots as gifts from other potters, some of which are now cloud throwing, and I miss them terribly, and treasure their pots.

best,

Pres

I am currently going through the process of Konmari (https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering-Organizing/dp/1607747308) in my house. This means I have recently thrown out and donated many boxes of pottery from my kitchen. Most of the departed pots were purchased many years ago, before I understood my tastes and values. My pottery cupboard is half-empty, and only contains things I love. I have room to acquire more, but I have also gained the insight to know what I should buy and shouldn’t buy. Therefore, I don’t want others to give me pottery. I want to choose it myself. 

32 minutes ago, GEP said:

I am currently going through the process of Konmari (https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering-Organizing/dp/1607747308) in my house. This means I have recently thrown out and donated many boxes of pottery from my kitchen. Most of the departed pots were purchased many years ago, before I understood my tastes and values. My pottery cupboard is half-empty, and only contains things I love. I have room to acquire more, but I have also gained the insight to know what I should buy and shouldn’t buy. Therefore, I don’t want others to give me pottery. I want to choose it myself. 

Story 1 (1982): When I got married, a friend of my mother's bought me a set of mass-produced stoneware dishes, which she gave to my mother to deliver. I never saw them because my mother decided to exchange them for something she herself liked better, sleek and modern.

Being frugal I used those dishes I never liked for about fifteen years, while I also bought myself a set of a few handmade plates and a set of bowls I actually liked that I used for special occasions. It took fifteen years to decide to pack up and give to Goodwill the ones that were never my taste.

Story 2 (Last week): On Thursday I finished my five weeks of intensive teaching (math) at the local university. At the end of a session a few students tend to give me cards or small gifts, often food but sometimes something different. This year one boy gave me five decks of Magic cards and a cardboard box to keep them in,  And no, I had never discussed games of any sort with any of the students. It must just have been what he thought would be the nicest gift to give the gray-haired little old lady at the front of the class.

My family hasn't given me  any ceramic items, since I got in to ceramics.  

Also,  many of them like getting things that I have made...  At least that's what they tell me...

In general, I'm trying to stay ahead of  "collections" building up.  I have moved homes enough times, to realize how much "crap" we keep around, that we don't actually need.  So I've gotten less attached to things.  

On top of that, I helped my Parents  clean out my Grandparent's house.  They had their near fifty years of STUFF, plus some of their Parent's, plus some of their Parent's...  We found some newspapers from the late 1800's.

I DO NOT want to leave that much behind, for someone to deal with.  

I have a couple of friends that give me pottery items some good some not so good.  Because we do restoration, we have friends and family that give us broken stuff....we do not need more broken stuff.   I do not want to offend....they actually thought enough to give a gift that shows that they know we like pottery.   So I hold on to stuff for an appropriate period of time then donate. 

Each year, we try to just get together with friends....have parties.  Those times are the greatest gifts.

I do collect a lot of artwork but when I notice that I am not drawn to it anymore or it does not give me the joy it once did....it is time for it to be sold, re-gifted or donated.  

1 hour ago, lgusten said:

I have a couple of friends that give me pottery items some good some not so good.  Because we do restoration, we have friends and family that give us broken stuff....we do not need more broken stuff.   I do not want to offend....they actually thought enough to give a gift that shows that they know we like pottery.   So I hold on to stuff for an appropriate period of time then donate. 

Each year, we try to just get together with friends....have parties.  Those times are the greatest gifts.

I do collect a lot of artwork but when I notice that I am not drawn to it anymore or it does not give me the joy it once did....it is time for it to be sold, re-gifted or donated.  

The mother of a close college friend of mine always gave her husband toilet parts and broken radios for his birthday.  He had a couple of PhDs related to physics and sound engineering and fixed things as a hobby.

They used to say in the old days that scientists had all either been radio fixers or chemistry set kids in their childhoods.  Richard Feynman did radios.

Here's a tip I learned from my best friend, who is very skilled at decluttering: display the unwanted piece prominently, then generously gift it to the first person who admires it ;)

I recently, inspired by "Swedish Death Cleaning," unloaded a bunch of stuff in order to have enough room for my next 20 years of collecting, only to be gifted with 3 items not to my taste from very dear friends......sigh. Nature abhors a vacuum.

I love it...think I have some things to move around.  I have regifted some items to a specific friend....he always lets me know what he likes...in the hopes of it being gifted to him.....easier to get him a Christmas gift that he will really like!

Have never hear of Swedish Death Cleaning but I like the decluttering to make room for the next 20 years.    Sorry about the 3 new items to your "collection".  I have a couple of items that good friends have given me that I cannot get rid of because they look for them when they visit.  

2 hours ago, lgusten said:

I love it...think I have some things to move around.  I have regifted some items to a specific friend....he always lets me know what he likes...in the hopes of it being gifted to him.....easier to get him a Christmas gift that he will really like!

Have never hear of Swedish Death Cleaning but I like the decluttering to make room for the next 20 years.    Sorry about the 3 new items to your "collection".  I have a couple of items that good friends have given me that I cannot get rid of because they look for them when they visit.  

Best friend to me: "Remember that big green pot you gave me? My sister admired it so much, I just had to give it to her." Also, "I gave a big party and that brown piece with white flowers got broken."

note: I was really proud of those large pieces, but I completely forgot that although I love greens and browns, she does not 

The family quit exchanging gifts years ago and I only make a  pot  when it is requested.   I do like to exchange or buy other potters work,  I usually have had a experience with like attending a workshop or class with them.    Denice

This reminds me of the time years and years ago my mother gave me an expensive coffee table book on picasso because as she put it "your paintings are just like his". -I ******* hate picasso and everything he stands for, and ironically she probably overheard me say something to that fact and the name "picasso" just stuck in her head and someone offered her a deal on the art book, forget the details or facts. And another thing, anyone who's seen my paintings wouldn't equate them w/ that hack's work. (there is some of my early 2D art in my gallery area if anyone's interested, judge for yourself) come to think of it, she probably did it just to annoy me: spent a large amount of cash I could have actually used to like, eat or pay a bill or something, on something I detested, and so she could chuckle and tell me once again how "fanciful" my work is and how it reminds her of the scribblings of the sociopathic.

11 hours ago, Benzine said:

Yappystudent, I don't think I've ever seen a person, so strongly express their thoughts on Picasso...

Only because I can't use the type of language or degree of toxic discourse I would have to use to even mention the dirty dog (not meaning to insult dogs). 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, yappystudent said:

hate picasso and everything he stands for

You go girl! Join the club.

17 hours ago, LeeU said:

Only because I can't use the type of language or degree of toxic discourse I would have to use to even mention the dirty dog (not meaning to insult dogs). 

You go girl! Join the club.

Are you referring to his personal life or his work? 

The most annoying thing about Picasso, when I was a beginning art student, was that nearly everything we thought of doing seemed derivative because Picasso had already done it!

He did paint a lot of crying women. 

Archived