Lightweight Shelves

LeeU

Would like some input from people with experience with Thermal Lite and Cordierite shelves.  (Not Advancers-I have all the info I need on those.) I am looking for the lightest that will serve well in electric firing -mostly 5-6, commercial bodies & glazes.   I did a search here and also looked at specs on supplier sites, but current feedback from the community would be helpful.  Lightest weight and less need for cleaning &  kiln wash are the priorities. Thanks.

LeeU,

There are no real differences between Thermal Lites and Advancers.  Both are made using the same process so weight, thickness, performance  and  cautions about moisture are the same .  Advancers are made  by Saint-Gobain (French) and Thermal Lites in Germany by I believe a company named Schmid (sp?).  in the US, Smith-Sharpe (kilnshelf.com) sells Advancers and Bailey sells Thermal-Lites.  Bailey had been selling Thermal Lites for a little less than the Advancers, but it looks like Smith-Sharpe is currently matching that pricing.  

-SD

Dean is spot on above-I have 60 plus advancers and 4 thermolites-they are the same in all aspects-the German ones are bit more rounded on the corners.

The Cordierite shelves are much thicker than above shelves-the ones you may like are honeycombed inside and lighter/stronger,They are heaver than above shelves as well.Glazew will stick to them vs the other two brands glaze will never stick to them.Cordierites can warp over time and the others will NEVER warp.

https://www.baileypottery.com/Blog/ArtMID/885/ArticleID/42/The-5-Types-of-Kiln-Shelves-You-Need-to-Know-About

I did post on just this subject this year-expanding all the differences-its here

LeeU-

Am wondering if you meant “Corelite” shelves made by Cedar Heights instead of the “Cordierite” that you posted? The Corelite shelves are a hollow shelf. Mark C refers to these in the above post.

This may be a reason you are not receiving the responses you hoped for.

Regards,

Fred

Often considered the two mentioned, but price, at ^6 in a 3-4 section top loader, I really wonder about the need. I have been using my old heavy things for 15 years now, and they still do well, even though I grind and kiln wash them as they  get spotty.

best,

Pres

CoreLite shelves are great. I've got a set of 14x28's in my big kiln (74 firings per year), and 15" round in my smaller kiln (150 firings per year). I've used them for 3+ years, and have never flipped them and they're still dead flat. They are slightly thicker than typical cordierite shelves, but they don't warp. IMO, it will take a long time for the price of Advancers and such to pay off in a round top loading kiln, given the low cost of firing.

Thanks so much, everyone--very helpful. I had read Marc's post--and still managed to confuse Cordierite with CoreLite.  As for the CoreLite, wow--the price is right, even if not as light as the high end ones. I am beginning to have problems with foreram strength (despite Planet Fitness LOL) and back issues, so any relief via a lighter shelf will be a blessing.

Archived