Changed clay bodies and struggling

After struggling through almost 25lbs of clay today I needed to ask probably an obvios question. I noticed when pounding the clay into balls before throwing it was quite a bit more stiff than what i had been using last week. Wondering if that can make a big difference when your opening your piece up and other ways it might effects people? 

If you're new to things, yes, you might notice varying softness in the clay affects how easy it is to move the stuff. If you're having difficulties opening, the usual culprits are having a small air pocket trapped under the ball, or starting to push down before you've found the sweet spot that is true centre. 

To soften a bag of clay you should slam it on a concrete floor or sturdy table several times.  If that didn't work you need to get a 5 gal bucket.  Pour some water into your bag and tie it up tight,  if your clay isn't real dry I would start out with a eighth of a cup.   Put the bag in the bucket and fill it with water,  the  water pressure of the bucket  pushes the water you added into your block of clay.  Check it after 24 hours,   I have revived clay that was extremely dry,   I poke some holes in it if I can and put a half cup of water it in.  If it is really hard it can take two or three days.   Denice

Archived