Yixing Clay cone?

Hi!  I have a tea pet that I just made out of Yixing clay and i was wondering what cone to use for firing.  I called store to check and they said cone 1, but their site said (1125℃ -1175℃ Stoneware), which is cone 4, right?  It needs to be absorbent. Does anyone have any experience with this clay?

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Babs said:

Why need for absorption?

Because your pour tea on tea pets. I don't know why, well I know where it originated. Originally they were used to test if the water was hot enough to make tea. When you poured water on them they absorbed it and spit it out of a small spout when the water was hot enough for tea making. This one is just going to have tea poured on it.

I LOVE this clay, it's just perfect for sculpting.  Anyway I'm going with cone 1, I called the store and drilled them a bit, they seem quite sure :)

Here is a link to buy it if anyone else is interested: https://www.chineseclayart.com/store/material

10 minutes ago, Tyler Miller said:

Proper yixing is fired pretty high, like cone 8.  I would follow the store’s directions with this product, however.  

Porous teapots are lovely.  I’ve made a few myself and I love drinking tea from them.

This is real Yixing. :)

I can see that being the case.  From what I've  read they don't need glaze to be watertight, right?  This is a tea pet, not a pot so he needs to absorb the tea. 

Water tight is a relative term.  They get pretty sweaty until the tea begins to seal.

Cone 1-2 gets my vote as how to fire.  I think you’re on the right track there.

I use this pot almost every day.  It’s made from local terracotta fired to behave like yixing (like many of the touristy knock offs).  I fired it to cone 02.

https://instagram.com/p/BBqIiTLr12v/

1 hour ago, Tyler Miller said:

Proper yixing is fired pretty high, like cone 8.  I would follow the store’s directions with this product, however.  

Porous teapots are lovely.  I’ve made a few myself and I love drinking tea from them.

I remember it being somewhere around cone 8, too.

11 hours ago, Babs said:

Sounds fun. Just do a test run. If not right at cone 1 it could be refired higher if unglazed.

Love a pic to see the beastie

Ha, way too impatient for testing :) He's in the kiln now.  Here is a picture of him almost done.  I sanded down his legs, face and horns face before I put him in the kiln, gave them a smoother finish, it's pretty groggy.  This is the brown clay, I'm curious to see the color after firing.

agnus_dei.png

12 hours ago, Tyler Miller said:

Water tight is a relative term.  They get pretty sweaty until the tea begins to seal.

Cone 1-2 gets my vote as how to fire.  I think you’re on the right track there.

I use this pot almost every day.  It’s made from local terracotta fired to behave like yixing (like many of the touristy knock offs).  I fired it to cone 02.

https://instagram.com/p/BBqIiTLr12v/

That is a nice little pot.  I would never think to make a tea pot out of terra cotta but I almost never make functional items. So the tea seals the inside of the pot?   Hmm.. I hope my lamb soaks up the tea.

35 minutes ago, Sputty said:

37 minutes ago, Sputty said:

Thanks, he's a commission, so if she's happy, i'm happy :)

20 minutes ago, Babs said:

Oh no too close to the bone!!!

A lamb to slaughter....bless It! Seen too too many to live with that

BUT a beautiful pot. Well done and good luck firing.

Back to my pot of beans:-))

I know! I kept telling myself, it's just a tea pet, it's not real . He will never be slaughtered, just dowsed with tea :) It's modeled after the painting "Agnus Dei" by Francisco de Zurbaran.

4 minutes ago, Babs said:

Wonder what the reaction would be if that was a child.

I am aware of the inspiration.....if it can be described like that.

A pet hey?

I would not have sculpted a bound child.... well unless it were some type of protest piece meant to raise awareness, certainly not to be drowned in tea though....

Yeh well the lamb is someone's baby:-)

Just saying.

Humans seem to think it's ok to treat animals and the planet any way they want. That's all.

A personal opinion and prob should not have entered into this on forum.

Apology

11 minutes ago, Babs said:

Yeh well the lamb is someone's baby:-)

Just saying.

Humans seem to think it's ok to treat animals and the planet any way they want. That's all.

A personal opinion and prob should not have entered into this on forum.

Apology

I know, I feel the same. People are horrible to animals. :(  There is a bit of a smile on the lamb's face, he's having fun, it's just a game :)

lamb-smile.jpg

Archived