Kiln problem

sian

Hi, I hope someone can help - we had an error code 1 in our Potclays 230 volt top loading kiln, investigated and found the elements had broken near where they meet at the back. We've replaced the elements but on a test run, where they connect got really hot and melted the connector. They were connected really tightly. Is there something we are missing?

Hi,

inside the box on the back of the kiln (I can't take photos atm.) There are two sets of elements that we had to replace and they meet in the box at the back with a connector (it was just outside this connector that the elements failed last time).

After some research I suspect that it may be the relay switch or thermocouple that we also need to replace - it seems to be firing okay and then the temp will go up really quickly.

If a connector fails, it's generally because of a bad or corroded connection that is arcing and causing it to overheat. 

The heating issue could be from a relay that's sticking, however, if the elements you replaced are getting really hot right away, but the others aren't then they aren't hooked up properly.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:41 PM, sian said:

Hi, I hope someone can help - we had an error code 1 in our Potclays 230 volt top loading kiln, investigated and found the elements had broken near where they meet at the back. We've replaced the elements but on a test run, where they connect got really hot and melted the connector. They were connected really tightly. Is there something we are missing?

Are the elements twisted at the end? 

PB036430_1200.JPG

7 hours ago, High Bridge Pottery said:

Are the elements twisted at the end? 

PB036430_1200.JPG

Elements do  not have to be twisted at the end. I work on several kilns where they are not twisted.  If the wire is thick enough to get a good crimp without twisting, it's not absolutely necessary. The manufacturer will determine whether or not they should be twisted, and send you the appropriate elements.

Archived