CONDITION OF BRENT C WHEEL HEAD

Hello,

I have a picture of a Brent C wheel head.  I cannot go see this wheel in person because it is 8 hours away from me.  Has anyone seen a wheel head look like this?  I am thinking it might be pitted and therefore need replacing, if not immediately then eventually.  I do not know what I could do to remedy the situation short of buying a new wheel head, but I am thinking there might be aluminum cleaners that could help. 

I also am thinking it may have bat pins that are "rusted or stuck" in and am not sure if , or how, they can be removed if they are locked in there. 

Any comments or help would be useful.  If I can get this wheel, I would have to go get it this week because there are no classes tomorrow due to the holiday so I would have plenty of time to drive over.

Thanks,

Carole

00A0A_4JUY0yaUC5x_1200x900.jpg

Wheels that have sat for a while often will have oxidation. I use a wet synthetic course scrubbing pad to clean mine up. As to the other parts-does not look bad. The bat pins can be removed if rusted on, but then they may just not be removed. Often these are thumb nutted on the bottom making them harder to remove. If you cannot go see the wheel, and are serious about it, ask if they can send you a video of it running, and other pictures of the front and sides. 

best,

Pres 

As Pres said this head looks fine just needs a little clean up.The bat pins need a little soaking in a spray lubricant like liquid wrench.

This is a better looking wheel than that last one you showed us.

What model is this one B,C ,CXC

It looks on fine shape-whats the asking price?

You may have found a keeper

Hello,

I am so thrilled and thankful that so many of you read everything.  I accidentally posted this here instead of in the equipment topic.  I went ahead and contacted an administrator to see if it could be deleted or moved and saw it was still here and better yet,  there were answers!!!  You are all the best!  

I have emailed the owner of this Brent C.  I have not heard back.

The person is asking $650.  When I think I first saw the post about a month ago, I wrote to the person and explained that s/he was asking more than 2/3 the cost of a new one and that most people looking to buy a wheel would know that was way too much money for a 20 year old wheel and would probably buy a new one with a warranty.  I also explained why the "extras"  being offered might not be of great value to a person who has been throwing for a while, but s/he did not tell me to make an offer--but instead said this would require more study and consideration and promptly pulled the listing off craigslist. The person thanked me for educating him/her about the wheel.   I cannot remember if the person sent me a video--I usually ask for one.  

PRES-- I am not sure I understand what you are saying about the bat pins:  "The bat pins can be removed if rusted on,  "but then they may just not be removed" . Often these are "thumb nutted "on the bottom making them harder to remove.   What do you mean they can be removed if rusted on--but then they may just NOT BE REMOVED?  Do you mean  there is a possibility they might be able to be removed or there is a possibility they cannot be removed.  What does Thumb nutted on mean??  Do they have a nut underneath to hold the pin instead of a wing nut?

Thank you all again.  I am hoping this person will answer me.

The thumb nut is a wing nut but some folks just use a standard nut-eirh way you will be able to get them off.

$650 is a bit high for that wheel but a lesser offer in cash may sweeten the deal for him. I would start at 350-400 range just do not exceed your predetermined limit.

I just paid $300 for a used Brent C wheel that Marc found me on E-Bay,  it has a new motor in it.  The seller didn't take it off the auction for awhile and the bidding went up to $450.    The seller was glad I made him a offer,   I had grown up in the area of town he lived in and thought it was going to the perfect home.   Denice

On 7/3/2018 at 10:12 PM, Mark C. said:

The thumb nut is a wing nut but some folks just use a standard nut-eirh way you will be able to get them off.

$650 is a bit high for that wheel but a lesser offer in cash may sweeten the deal for him. I would start at 350-400 range just do not exceed your predetermined limit.

YOu may even find that it is just rusted in place with no wing/thumb/regular nut in place. I never use the nuts on mine preferring to be able to remove the bat pins to work on the wheel alone for throwing mugs, off the hump, and vases, pitchers and such.

best,

Pres

The wheel head can be cleaned easily as Mark said, but if it is pitted, you might take it to a local machine shop and have them clean it up on a lathe rather that buying a new head. Since the bat pins are steel and the head is aluminum, it should be relatively easy to remove them, again as Mark said, using a penetrating oil and vice-grips if necessary...Hope all works out for you!

JohhnyK

Archived