QotW: What do your hands look like?

The first few months I worked at a dental lab my job was to boil and steam  models sent in by the dentist.   Your skin would peel off and you have to wear bandages  for the first month.  After they healed up I had the smoothest finger free finger tips.  I guess I should have committed a crime back then,  DNA will convict you now.    Denice

Nancylee, we have discussed this in some other threads. I have had trouble having fingerprints made. Such a pain. Imagine the difficulty of id ing a body if little else is found. Now that we have dna testing not so much a problem.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic
On 7/12/2018 at 8:15 AM, Marcia Selsor said:

my finger id for my phone never works. I think they may be worn down.

Marcia

The same is true for me-but it may be the technology vs the fact that  we wore off our fingerprints-or at least parts of them.

Edited by Mark C.

Maybe our biceps are the next integral part of the potter's frame:lol:

I had a friend photo the above and she returned almost immediately with handcream, nail buffers, cuticle cream and oils I would never have dreamt of.... i did try to show my appreciation... too little too late and I never rememer stuff like that..

Edited by Babs
additional trivia

On 7/12/2018 at 12:44 PM, Mark C. said:

Ok today was sponge the load day as well as throwing and trimming.

I had my wife shoot these for me just before loading the kiln with them

This is what 45 years of hard clay work will do to your hands

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

nice feet....on your pots Mark!

Lots of great pots there, productionpotter extraordinaire!!!

Yes many of my glazes run and a good foot ring catches them.Its also my signature style of foot. A solid strong foot is something most pots need.

learning to make a  good strong solid  non chip foot is a key deal. I spent a year working with a mentee on her foot style.Most just ignore the foot or half -a--one or do not have one.Good feet are part of good pots.All that said I have a few forms that I do not have feet on. I used to 40 years ago foot everything .

In my temp range of cone 11 porcelain many glazes are moving and they fill that foot space above the foot.

My pie plates for example are flat bottomed but still have the side edge foot that catches glazes.

If you are working in cone 06 runny glazes will not be an issue but a good foot on a pot will always look better.

Edited by Mark C.

I was taught that the balance and design between the rim and foot was the markings of a well made pot.  I work with C6 glazes and only have trouble with running when I layer them.  I liked the looks of that foot,  I think I will give it a try.    Denice