Experience with a Paragon Touch-N-Fire Digital TN-F-82

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Paragon TnF82? I've come across one that seems to have been infrequently fired and is good shape. It has the DTC 1000 Touch and Fire controller. 

I'd be running it on a 240v/30amp line which seems to be okay. I'd primarily be using it as a bisque kiln to start but, likely doing some cone 4-6 firings down the line.

Any thoughts or experiences with this kiln would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The DTC 1000 is a Bartlett controller, which is the brand that most people on this forum are familiar with. If the kiln is in good shape, then it will probably perform like a new one.

Paragon recommends a circuit with #6 copper wire for that model.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard Paragon / Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

I have this model, but it came with the older DTC 800C controller, which lasted 4 firings before it went completely haywire. I got an electrical engineer friend to replace it with a PID controller, which hasn't given any serious trouble. According to the previous owner, the original controller had been working fine, but the kiln had been in storage for 18 months before I bought it. If possible, I'd test the controller by programming a short ramp with a hold, and checking that the kiln follows this. If you do this, make sure you read the manual beforehand.

I need an extended firing to reach cone 4, but that's probably because the floor is cracked and the bricks are out of alignment on a couple of corners, so there's a gap that opens when the kiln heats up. Some of the element grooves are quite close to the top of the bricks they're in, and for a number of these bricks, the part above the groove has broken off. This was because the previous owner transported it with shelves (wrapped in newsprint) inside, and lifted it out of the car at an angle :(. I should have know better too, and told them to only put balled-up newsprint inside. Anyway, I don't think this will be a problem if you don't do anything stupid, but just be aware that that's something to look out for. If the kiln and elements are in good condition, I don't think you'll have trouble reaching cone 6.

Archived