D.E. Walters

Advice needed for Floor clay trap in new studio build

Greetings! I am building my dream studio which will have a slanted cement floor and a clay trap in it. Any advice for what kind of clay trap will work best in floor? I plan to have a waterproof membrane on walls so I can simply spray down whole studio. I have potters induced asthma and need a VERY clean studio. AM not willing to give up clay! 

I would cast a two step water trap with removable buckets-the 1st one would drain into the next one. Both can be lifted out for dumping.Make sure you have a few spare buckets the right size in case they stop making them in the future.

I have that system with larger tubs outside. I drain the clay into boxes from the 1st trap and let them dry in sun and toss them in trash. The second trap rarely needs cleaning -that water then goes to my bamboo patch-yours can flow into sewer .

5 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I would cast a two step water trap with removable buckets-the 1st one would drain into the next one. Both can be lifted out for dumping.Make sure you have a few spare buckets the right size in case they stop making them in the future.

I have that system with larger tubs outside. I drain the clay into boxes from the 1st trap and let them dry in sun and toss them in trash. The second trap rarely needs cleaning -that water then goes to my bamboo patch-yours can flow into sewer .

Even better! Can you run your waste line outside for filtering? How big is your line, MarkC?

Edited by Rae Reich

My sink is a 1/1/2 inch drain line going into a two tub setting system-the last tub has a 50 foot rubber garden hose plumbed into the side of that tub that takes the finished water away to whatever I want watered.

Flowing up on your PM

Just think about the way clay settles in a bucket vs a strainer which the particles can pass thru easy. You want them to settle in the bucket that you can dump out and the overflow should go into another bucket before entering the drain system .A strainer really is not needed at all. Two tier system is best with clay.

Edited by Mark C.

Nope.I had the option of going subfloor when  building,decided against.That stuff is so entirely stinky it ALL has to get dried and in the dump ASAP.A tub  sorta  modeled on the clay trap in the studio at UVIC  lets me pour off the "brew" once before winter and once after.this sits WAY out in the back kiln shed until its solid enough to truck to landfill. 

I have two tub system from the sink drain to the 1st tub then to the second . I let the 1st settle and every week shovel out the sludge into a clay box or two and let dry then toss into trash. In winter I bag the box and toss in trash.

My sink is only for clay and glaze-no soap or other things.

I posted a piece on this a few years ago.Its here with photos

Edited by Mark C.