Linda A

How much propane will I use

Hello

i am going to be firing my downdraft gas kiln soon.

It is 9 cubic feet and I have a 100 pound propane cylinder.

I am planning to fire to cone 6.  Can anyone give me an idea of how much of the 100 pound propane tank I would use in a firing.

Also, how far should the propane cylinder be situated away from kiln.  Kiln is movable on wheels.

Thanks a lot

Depends on the BTU's of the burners, and how you handle them. Hopefully someone here with a similar setup can chime in on their propane usage. Keep the tank as far from the kiln as possible. I would shoot for at least 6 feet. Check it as the firing progresses to make sure the tank isn't warming up from the radiant heat from the kiln. You could always put a piece of plywood or something in front of it to shield it.

Ok.  Thanks for the advise on how far to keep the tank from the kiln.

i feel like a complete idiot but how do I find out how many btu's my burners have.

They are Venturi burners and there are two of them if that helps or are they all different.

Wouldit help if I sent a picture of the burner.

Linda A.

You should take my experience with my own venturi burners and truly pay little attention to it.  This was the first time I have ever used the burners or any burners period.

I fired two burners like the one below  and heated my 15 cubic ft. kiln from 920 to  about 2138 in 7hr. My kiln was empty. and I was using one 40gal and one 25gal tank. The tanks began to ice and show about 3/4 of their contents gone  before I loss pressure and  shut it down.  I burned the burners for almost 2 hr. before I learned how to get the temps over 920.

My burners are low pressure MR 100's built by Mark Ward. and Mr. Ward said that I should use a 100gal tank to keep from icing up but I opted for 2  40 gal tanks and  duel lines to a single regulator. Ward sells his system with 12ft.  of hose. My tanks are almost that far from my kiln.

There is a wealth of info at www.wardburner.com/technicalinfo/claytimesarticles.html 

I have to learn how to shrink these photo's

IMG_20180603_091359.jpg

Hello.

Thanks for your reply.

you said you burned the burners for two hours before you learned how to get the temp over 920.

what did you do to get the temp over 920.?

2 hours ago, Linda A said:

what did you do to get the temp over 920.?

I learned how to work the damper. The slightest adjustment would cause the temps to rise, stall or fall, with no increase or decrease  in gas. Have much much much to learn this is my first rodeo. That was my first firing ever! Will do my first bisque in a couple of weeks.

That looks much more of a commercial set-up then I have.  Does the kiln have any markings? Doesn't look liked anything on Ward's site.

Like I said pay little attention to what I have to say. Here to learn myself 

10,000 btu /ft3 is a good over estimate I find and propane has 21,500 btu/lb

so 9 x 10,000 = 90,000 btu x 8 hour firing  = 720,000 / 21,500 = 33.4 lb propane. You can probably half this number easily as you are not going full wack for the whole firing. 

Those burners are true venturi burners and are better than Postal potters Ward MR100s-I use 8 of those as well(MR100s).

Your burners are more efficient and you should be fine with 100 gallons(not 100#s)

I assume thats what you meant gallons not pounds.

If your tank freezes run a triple of water over it to keep it thawed.

Just make sure that the burners office are the ones for Propane vs Nature gas-Those would be the smaller holes. I think in UK propane is most common anyway????

Edited by Mark C.

I use 4 of the MR100s and 4 Mr75s on my large car kiln(8 total)-they work fine (natural gas not propane)

The long centuries like ransoms are super nice burners but the are costly .

6 hours ago, Mark C. said:

When I fill my propane tanks they sell it in gallons?Not pounds so is #s a tank size due to weight? or am I missing something

Where I buy propane it's by the pound. I thought that was how they did it for portable size tanks. 

Hello all

Thanks for all the input about propane.

Yes, where I live in British Columbia, Vancouver Island ,propane is sold by weight ( pound).  So I have a 100 pound tank that is portable.

Neil,  I found out my burners are 60,000 BTU's.

linda

Yes I am very unfamiliar with gas firing. Have always fired with an electric kiln but this kiln was such a deal I couldn't pass up so  now the learning begins.

is that the July, Aug issue for 2018.  I didn't get mine yet.

Thanks for the suggestion , I will for sure look it up.