Hide scumming without using glaze?

Hi everyone. I made a sculpture of terracotta and fired it to 04. There is scumming, so I tried to linseed oil it but it's still visible.  I want the natural clay color so, not interested in glaze, but is there something I can do to make the color uniform? I also tried scrubbing and sanding it but it's not budging lol. 

Please help ! Thank you, Linda 

To remove the mineral salts deposit you could try a commercial efflorescence remover. It would likely  take a few applications and I would fire the linseed oil off first. Going forward if you get a terracotta that contains a tiny amount of barium the barium will prevent the mineral salts from scumming the clay. If your supplier doesn't have this information then I would contact the manufacturer and ask which of their terracotta bodies do contain barium.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Min! 

Yes, I'm totally new here and  also very new to using this clay, firing, all of it lol. I am nervous about trying to glaze this piece and ruining it. Plus I like the light orange natural color.

Good to know I can still fire it with linseed!

I wonder if it's the poor quality water at my shop that's causing this when I spray it? I have no clue. But I will check about the barium. 

Thank you so much !

Archived