AIM kiln Reliability?

Hello all, I was planning on purchasing a kiln soon. My teacher suggested Skutt or L&L, but I was also looking at AIM kilns, because they were cheaper and slightly larger for 120 volts. However, it's been difficult for me to find out very much information on AIM; about all I heard is that their business faltered a few years back because of low quality and poor management, and changed management and location. Has anyone purchased a kiln from them after maybe early-2009, around when I think that happened? What are your impressions? Thanks.

It has been my experience that small 120 volt brick kilns do not vary all that much in build quality. Because of their size, they do not suffer the same wear and tear as the big kilns. They just don't expand and contract as much during firings. That said, the L&L hard ceramic element holders are much more durable when it comes to the bricks being bumped when loading and unloading the kiln. As for controls, a sitter is a sitter. If you're going digital, Aim, Skutt and L&L all use Bartlett built controllers, so not much difference there. I'd go for the full blown controller rather than the 3-button if you can afford it.

As for size, if a kiln is larger but uses the same watts, then it is underpowered compared to the smaller kilns. Also watch out for the amperage requirements for 120 volts kilns. Many need a 20 amp circuit, which you probably don't have in your home. If you don't, look for kilns that can use a 15 amp circuit.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info on L&L.

I'm not sure which AIM kiln you are looking at, I have a small test AIM Kiln that I have probably had for 15 years, I have never had to do anything to it. At my old studio I had it with a 15 amp breaker my new studio has a dedicated 20 amp breaker for it. My electrician was not happy with the old set up even though I fired it that way for ten years. Denice

L&L I feel is a better quality kiln than your others on the list but as you noted they cost more

one thing to consider is looking for a slightly used kiln-hobbyist buy and sell these all the time-as they come and go with clay

One point I should make is a 220V kiln will be more efficient than 110V without all the details 220 uses all the juice ware as 110 does not

If you have the service for a 220 double breaker get a 220V kiln-in the long run the power bill for same size kiln will be less

I have worked as an electrican

Mark

Just wanted to second some of what's been said above. I have an AIM 84J test kiln, purchased secondhand a few years ago. (I bought it from the original owner, who never actually used it.) It's a manual kiln; I added a plug-in digital controller later. It works great and I've never had any problems with it. The digital controller has made all the difference in controlling the firings - definitely worth it!

One of my elec. kilns is AIM (27" deep). I bought it about 10 years ago and it is still in great shape. The elements have only been replaced twice, amazing since it is fired couple of times a week alternately with my other kiln. It is fully automatic and the main regulator that cycles it on and off has always been noisy. It has been replaced 4 times (cost $100.00) due to the poles wearing out. They are moving parts. Every new one I've installed has a loud buzzing sound. It is not very pleasant to be around when it is firing. If I ever purchase a new elec. kiln, I'd get any of the suggestions here but would add the Paragon to that list. The electrician here offers some great advice about the load you pull when firing.

One of my elec. kilns is AIM (27" deep). I bought it about 10 years ago and it is still in great shape. The elements have only been replaced twice, amazing since it is fired couple of times a week alternately with my other kiln. It is fully automatic and the main regulator that cycles it on and off has always been noisy. It has been replaced 4 times (cost $100.00) due to the poles wearing out. They are moving parts. Every new one I've installed has a loud buzzing sound. It is not very pleasant to be around when it is firing. If I ever purchase a new elec. kiln, I'd get any of the suggestions here but would add the Paragon to that list. The electrician here offers some great advice about the load you pull when firing.

Elements can last for many years if you're doing low fire. Like 5 years or more. Firing cone 5/6 will greatly reduce the element life. I go through a set every year in my smaller kiln, since I fire it 2-3 times a week to cone 6.

Relays (the switches in automatic kilns) often make noise, no matter which brand of kiln you have. They love to buzz. Most use the same relays, in fact. Sometimes when they fail, they fail hard and totally melt out. Other times they simply stop working. It's always good to have a backup set on hand. Most 27" tall kilns have 3 relays. If one goes after lots of use, replace all of them, as they all have the same life span. If one goes after little use, then it's probably an anomaly and you can just replace it alone.

• 3 months later...

Hello all, I was planning on purchasing a kiln soon. My teacher suggested Skutt or L&L, but I was also looking at AIM kilns, because they were cheaper and slightly larger for 120 volts. However, it's been difficult for me to find out very much information on AIM; about all I heard is that their business faltered a few years back because of low quality and poor management, and changed management and location. Has anyone purchased a kiln from them after maybe early-2009, around when I think that happened? What are your impressions? Thanks.

hello... i found them extremely unhelpful...their customer service was rude when i was asking for advice for my AIM kiln which i bought before the present owners...

i expected same nice service and advice...it was a cold shower... and not better with their technical service... when i am due to buy a new kiln..which is shortly as they would not help me for spare parts... it certainly wont be AIM..due to the lack of support from that company...

full disappointment indeed :-(

• 1 month later...

Nothing has changed. They are still rude and unhelpful. VERY unprofessional. I was warned not to do business with them by several people in our area. My distributor won't have anything to do with them after working with them. And two instructors in school ceramic departments told me that trying to work with them was a nightmare. The kilns don't work right and the customer service person is a rude.

one of our faculty has a large AIM oval kiln that is over 15yrs old. she fires it all the time and never had any problems with it until a couple years ago when she burned through a couple sections of elements with glaze drips. to my knowledge, it's only had the elements replaced the one time (all of them), 2 relays, and one kiln sitter tube assembly - I would say that's a pretty good kiln. one thing I really like about the AIM is that it has clamping connectors for the elements instead of crimped like on a Skutt - I'm guessing it's slightly less efficient in terms of resistance, but sure is a WHOLE lot easier to work on. I will admit though - trying to get those elements for this kiln was a chore and took several weeks - so I guess AIM still has a little bit of residual issues on their end. If I were to recommend a new kiln to someone it most likely won't be an AIM, but instead one of the currently better-known makes like a Skutt or L&L, etc.

most 120v kilns I see are all kiln-sitter type and they should all fire the same with this type of controller. chamber size:elements ratio is pretty much equivalent between all of them so you really shouldn't see much difference. also x2 on watching the voltage requirements - I have an old Cress 120v kiln that I wasn't able to use for a long time because it takes a 30A plug that I didn't have.

• 8 months later...

I recently purchased a used but never fiired aim kiln and needed technical help. They are not helpful at all. They only communicate by email which makes it hard. I found the "technician"rude and very condescending. I found out he wasn't a potter maybe that was why he couldn't seem to offer any help other than buying extra insulation. I wanted some help with the firing schedule. I felt they misreprested their product. It is rated cone 10, but I am struggling to reach that temp. The technition told me I probably wouldn't be ably to reach that temp without buying extra insulation and an extra lid. I found that ridiculous considering it is an updraft cone 10 gas kiln that has been installed by professionals according to the aim manual. I found them to be not only unhelpful but very unprofessional. I would not buy an aim kiln based on my experience. Does anyone have any ideas how to get a little more heat? I got to 2190 but then it wants to stall out and begins to drop. I'm considering drilling out the orifices a little larger to get more gas. Thanks to anyone who has some ideas!

• 1 year later...

Incompetent, arrogant, lacks integrity. This is what has become of Aim kiln manufactures. As a full time potter for 30 yrs., I had been a loyal customer of Aim. I recently purchased the 1110 analouge from their website only to discover the product I receieved was disfunctional and poorly made.  Confusing, unrealted, instructions was provided with the kiln, and when I contacted the quote on quote " customer service", I was met with incompetent, surly, and insulting responses. I have NEVER delt with such stupidity in my professional life. I fortunately was able to seek advice from a highly competent, HONEST, outside source to navigate my way out of this situation. I could go on and on about my recent nightmare with this "company", but life is too short. I am out of the money I invested to make this work. I advise you to look elsewhere when purchasing a kiln. I only shared this as to warn you. Buyer beware!!!

• 5 years later...

I have an older Aim 94 j kiln I bought off eBay 5 years ago. It works great for vitrigraph because the floor can be changed out.  I also have a brand new Evevheat STP 14 clamshell style.  I have also a 2011 model Evenhea t 14 inch identical to the new one.  Both are extremely reliable and easy to use.  They run on standard 120v.  Largest 120v on market.  I love the dual hinge design so much easier getting work out of it.

Archived