Beach sand instead of grog?

I think Tyler makes some good suggestions about feldspathic chicken grit if you’re looking for interesting textures that may or may not need glaze. It can be commonly used in wood fire, and Joseph, a forum member who’s currently on an internet break was doing some interesting work with it at cone 6. 

And I agree with the “test it and see what it does” school of thought presented by many. Find out what properties the sand has, and work with it from there. 

20 hours ago, Tyler Miller said:

If I may make a suggestion, use ingredients that have a definite provenance in your work.

Would you mind explaining this recommendation, particularly the term provenance as related to sand. Do you mean that beach sand has in other words less street cred in the crafting world?

@yappystudent

What I mean is only use sand you can source from the same place every time you need more.  That way you’re not back at square one every time you run out.  

Essentially, I’m suggesting a way to remove a variable.  The fewer the variables, the better your understanding of how it works as a glaze/clay body ingredient.

Also, while I think of it, track down Jonathan Walberg of J pottery in Wisconsin.  Beach sand from Lake Superior is in almost all his work.

Archived