Hello, I need some help with an old Evenheat manually operated kiln.  The lid band broke, and I bought a replacement. However, in trying to repair everything, including replacing the lid handles, prop support and hinges, the firebrick just powders up with attempts to screw the attachments back in place.  I was thinking maybe I need a masonry bit, and also was wondering if I should reinforce the screw holes with kiln cement.  I am not experienced in kiln repair, and don’t want to ruin the lid. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thanks, Marcia!  Do you suggest using the kiln cement right in the screw holes as the screws are placed? Or should I wait til the kiln cement has cured? The screws are to attach the handle and hinge parts that were removed from the original metal band.

@mgtmeehan The screws do no hold into the bricks, they only hold into the metal. It doesn't matter if the bricks are powdering away when the screws go in, no need to use cement or anything like that. You're overthinking it.:) If they're not holding tight, then you're stripping out the screws by either pre-drilling the holes too big, or running them in too far. Do not use a  drill to drive the screws or you'll strip them out, unless you have the drill clutch set very low. If you're using #6 screws, you should be using a 3/32" drill bit.

Thank you Neil.  I enlisted my son to do the work...lol... he told me that screwing into the firebrick was like screwing into day old snow...lol... it bites the top crust , but underneath it's all mush.  Thanks for the clarification.  Will let you all know how it turns out. :-)

Asa Neil says the screws hold the metal to the metal and not to the brick. Yes the screws chew up the brick as they are a bit to long and thats just a side effect.They are really just holding the handlers to the metal band and the band to itself.

Archived