davidscot

A quick question about Favorite

I need inspiration.

All I've been making are rabbits, kitsune (Japanese multi-tailed fox), guinea piglets, and dragons (and stuff I'm not supposed to make, but won't mention here).

I am bored.

I love animals MOAR THAN ANYTHING.

Seriously. I'm a veggie guinea.

Soooo...what are your favorite animals? :3 And why? What is it about that one critter you love? I'd like to hear some stories and maybe get some inspiration for new stuffs. Fantasy animals count, too.

Sea slugs also. They have about the most eye-catching patterns and colors in nature if you're going for pure audacity. With hot underglaze colors they'd make good subjects for figurines IMO. Lessee, other sea creatures: I tend to like extinct things, alien things, and potentially bio-engineered things. Not that I want more of them around, but as artistic subjects they add something extra to inspiration. Things found in sea-fossils, like Crinoids, Ammonites, etc; from times when the Earth was like an alien planet. Lately I've gotten interested in the age of giant mammals also, there were some really fascinating things stomping around. 

Twice I've had the privilege of seeing pronghorn antelope in eastern Oregon. They developed as a direct result of predation by the extinct American cheetah, and can still outrun anything on the continent today. 

davidscot, use "search" in the right hand corner.  enter "guinea" for the work of the best decorative potter i know of, one of our members, Cavy fire studio.   she is an inspiration.   start at the first date and read and enjoy everything she has shown until 2017 when, i believe, her health has prevented her from doing more.    i miss her upbeat, spectacular work and hope she is doing well.

Gosh how can you have one favourite animal?!!!

North Atlantic Right Whale - because they are very close to extinction and no baby has been sighted this year so far.  

The Rhino. Same reason. They are either cutting off their horns to protect from poachers, or leave none in the wild and put them in zoos.  African Rhino. 

How about some endangered species?

Rhinos, either one horned or two-horned? The Asian rhino offers a lot of opportunity for decorated armor.  Rhinos are newly popular after their dramatic role in Black Panther.  

The Galapagos tortoise offers opportunity for an interesting facial expression and shell.

I happen to like hippos. The two most famous are probably William, the blue clay hippo that is the signature of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and Fiona, the 16 month old preemie at the Cincinnati Zoo. Then maybe the dancing hippos in tutus in the old Disney movie Fantasia.

I have a deeply personal relationship with a 50 year old orangutan who likes to study the insides of my ears. A stunning one now passed who warrants a commemorative sculpture is Towan, the Seattle orangutan who died in 2016 and was observed as the model for one of the orangs in the Planet of the Apes remake. He was a mixture of Sumatran and Bornean and had a gorgeous head.

Kunikuni pigs have fantastically colored extra-furry coats. Because even a single litter shows so much variation in color of the babies, they could make a great collection.