Rockhopper

How much space between pots and next shelf in kiln ?

I'm sure there are other threads about this, but have not figured out the right combination of words to find them via the forum's search engine....

In a glaze firing (electric / cone 6 / stoneware):  How much space should there be between the top of a pot, and the under side of the next shelf above it.  Obviously, I don't want the pots to touch the shelf, lest they wind up fused to it - but what is a safe minimum.

If all of my posts are in two-inch increments (obviously, I need to get some shorter posts - but until I do... ) am I safe leaving minimal (1/8") space - or should I add another two inches ?  

If they are all bisques and no retires than the thickness of a p[ice of paper is fine.

Refire's expand and you need at least the 1/8th for that as new bisque ware shrinks and you need nothing for expansion.Remember it all expands as it warms pots and shelves and posts. You can also use a Broken kiln shelve piece on top of the post to get another 1/2 inch tall as well. No need to post another 2 inchs ever.It best to have anew sizes of broken shelves like 3/4 1/2 and 3/16 that way you have choices. I use these a lot when loading.

Thanks Mark.  All bisque - no re-fires. 

Haven't been at it long enough to have broken shelves.  Need to pick up some 1/2" & 1" posts next time I'm at my local supplier.

I'm a huge fan of packing my loads as tight as I can; both bisque and glaze. However, at a certain point the amount of time taken to get absolutely as tight as load as physically possible overcomes the "savings" you get by doing so.  For me, making a living making pots, timE is money so I get as tight as I can, but rarely worry about 1/8"s of an inch of space. A space over 1/2" I try to fill if I can, but that also means I need to have a lot of small pots to fill those spaces, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

If time is no issue pack it as tight as you can, like Mark said, watch for expansion and pots fusing to themselves or furniture, and feel proud of being as efficient as possible. Super tight loads often need a soak at maturation and/or fired more slowly so you ascertain a consistent tEMP throughout. I tumblestsck my bique loads and they are tight!! I do a 10-15 min soak at 06 to make sure if all gets there.