Sign in to follow this  
nhuphuong422

Is It Possible When Using A Dust Mask, Breathing, And Seeing At The Same Time?

We all know that we need to wear dust masks or respirators when working with any ceramic dust.  I have unlined bifocals.  Every time I put a dust mask on my face, my breath condenses on my glasses or the mask just pushes the glasses up enough so that I can't see through the part I need to look through.  I hate masks as much as I hate gloves, but I realize the necessity of the masks.  Does anyone have any advice about how I may see and breathe at the same time while leaving my hands free to work?  There must be something simple that I'm just missing because I get so annoyed. 

Mark has it right; if there is breath coming out from your mask, then air is also sneaking in through the same area. Either a poorly fitting mask, or if your a male with facial hair, can be an issue too. I was never able to get a paper mask to fit snug enough; got a good cartridge respirator with a softer "mouth/face piece" and keep my face shaven; no more issues. You dont need to spend a fortune on a respirator; think I spent about $50-70 a number of years back. Get the proper cartridges!  I have a friend who is a woodturner and deals with some very dangerous dust from exotic hardwoods. He has a full face respirator, with a hood which goes over his neck/shoulders. Granted it feels like you're darth vadar but it really does the trick for handling dangerous particulates.

This is the respirator I use.  It is available in different sizes to get a proper fit.  Comes with P100 cartridges for particulates (e.g. silica) that are designed to have a lower breathing resistance than other cartridges. BTW, I've always had quick service with good pricing from this vendor (Envirosafety Products).

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-7500-series-half-facepiece-asbestos-abatement-respirator-assembly.html