Used potters wheel could be over 40 years old

NoniN

Hello, 

I bought a used potters wheel could be over 40 years old there is no way to identify  what brand it is.  These are the only letters and numbers I can find on it . BlA 12-18112.   We believe it has a DC motor on it . We plugged in and it did not work you can’t hear the motor.  So we wondered if anybody has any ideas ?

Thanks in advance 

That is an original Robert Brent wheel.Its a heavy 1/4 inch steel frame with a one piece formica deck. I have owned two of them. The wheel head looks like a 14 inch so if thats true its model C or CXC

The wheel head has no flange for a splash pan-which dates it to early 1970 or 71

The pedal is also original as well as the controller.

The motor is also original .My guess is its also the two thin belt drive

Here are the issues-part for that pedal are no longer made so if that breaks you will need a newer style Brent?Amaco foot pedal

If the bearings go out on the wheel head that will need the new style wheel head with a new larger 3/4 inch shaft and a new 10 inch 3/4 pulley and new motor pull for new belts(they no longer use the two belt system). If the motor is not working than you need to take it to a motor shop for repair. a new motor from Brent is over $400

The controller can be replaced-you need to check the fuse -thats a screw off next to the on off switch on controller.

I sold one of these a decade ago that worked fine.

Mine which I bought new in 1970 I have done all the things I just mentioned-new wheel head  and pulley)-new motor(long ago) and new controller (long ago)

my guess is that is a Model CXC by the motor size which would make that a DC 1 hp motor.

Hopefully you got a gets deal on so fixing it is cost effective

1st thing is the to check the glass fuze to see if that works.

I have used the same model wheel for more than a year and am very happy with my $75 purchase.  As it came without a splash pan, I ordered a current model pan form Brent .   Without the bracket to hold the pan in place (wheel was built before Brent started using one) I had to find a way to keep it under the wheel head so I tried velcro tape.  However as the clay clogged the hooks and loops preventing good adhesion  I ended up with several very strong adhesive backed magnets to hold the pan to the table (the stronger the better).  This is working out great.  Best value I have found and using the wheel is a breeze.  Quiet and strong it does everything I want on a daily basis.  

Archived