Accidentally high-fired bisquware

shonnie

My L&L kiln didn't start when I hit Start after choosing the program, so I hit it again. Maybe this caused it to refire like the previous firing? Anyway I have a kiln load of lovely unglazed bisquware fired to 2160*   Will glaze adhere now? 

No it will not.You will need to heat the pieces before glazes so they are warm and they will NEVER absorb glaze well. Meaning they never will work well. Last time I did this I threw the kiln load in trash and made another kiln load. Its a learning curve with ceramics and all the detail matter.

Sorry to hear about this mistake.

Welcome to the forum 

Bummer. We've all done that at some point. It won't be worth the effort to try and get glaze to stick to them. Toss them and start over. In the future, always hit the 'Review Program' button after the relays start clicking, to make sure it's doing the firing you want it to do.

If anyone else has this surprise of overfiring bisqueware, here's possible salvage options;

#1  PZ white glaze went on almost normal.  I sponged all the extra water off the top of the glaze to re-add later, so the glaze was quite thick. 

#2  I heated  the ware to 250* in my oven before applying glaze  

My Osiris colored glaze also had a low clay content and it went on pretty well too 

I Have re-fired about 10 pieces from this load. I decided to take advantage of the popular style being naturals and whites. I'm very happy with how well some of these pieces turned out. I can't get the pics to load. It pops up a warning that size must be under 1000 kb ?

Archived