I have been busy with firing pieces for several exhibitions since the weather broke.  The obvara was pretty successful. I have been experimenting in the saggars using tiles as baffles to help hold combustibles in place. I am including two pieces of framed baffles because I find them so intriguing. the pots range from 8-12" in ht. I am using terra sig on the sagger pieces as well as on the smooth areas of the obvara pieces. I use ball clay TS so that it absorbs the obvara and the fuming in the saggars. I just added the poster for the Invitational show.

Marcia

baffletriptych.jpg.c8ae9bbfa33fece485b174be2d82590f.jpg5ad9e6e515d8f_obvarablackbrownsquarescopy.jpg.82d2a1a6ca7cab899888699795cc3b52.jpg5ad9e6dc8601d_saggarmedpeachandbluecopy.jpg.a3bbaf473057474b8a642e79a0e24e61.jpg5ad9e6d69161b_saggarflowbluandpeachcopy.jpg.07d337d47df97a282afec880c06c5a30.jpg5ad9e6cd32803_obvaratoastycopy.jpg.d13c7d55e1bf4307fee1020b646ea945.jpgbaffleTurner.jpg.938e7129c933ba3ed623d6986e6083c9.jpg

obvaratallneck copy.jpg

invitationalposter.png

WOW 

The first set of tiles look like wispy willows, a lot like a delicate Japanese watercolor. The second set of tiles look like landscapes in watercolor.  The 2 marble white  orbs are fantastic. A good deal of free form detail. Lagniappe is what I would call it - "A little something extra".

lovely results!   you have been busy firing so maybe you missed the question about terra sig and what results look like.  are any of the pots you have posted done with terra sig and can you say how they were treated and fired?

6 hours ago, oldlady said:

lovely results!   you have been busy firing so maybe you missed the question about terra sig and what results look like.  are any of the pots you have posted done with terra sig and can you say how they were treated and fired?

I did see that post but not what it looks like. The white marble pieces are ball clay TS. as well as the neck of the last obvara piece.and the tiles.I added the poster which also has ts on my pot on the right

i phrased that badly.  the poster wants to know what terra sig looks like when it is fired.  does he put glaze on it?  how hot and how to fire?    never having done it, i am also curious about its durability.  similar to raku?

39 minutes ago, oldlady said:

i phrased that badly.  the poster wants to know what terra sig looks like when it is fired.  does he put glaze on it?  how hot and how to fire?    never having done it, i am also curious about its durability.  similar to raku?

everything depends on what is the desired outcome. 

Marcia

Your new pieces are . . . well I have no words to describe, as they are beyond simple words. The pictures have to be seen to understand. I really like the way you are getting the soft colors against the light back grounds on the tiles and on the forms. . . fantastic. . . true art ! !

best,

Pres

Thanks, Pres. I am really engaged in this process and continue researching and experimenting. A few nights ago I was reading Arne Ase' description of chemicals and their properties, Zinc chloride can erase cobalt!So, pieces can be redone. I am trying it today on ferric chloride.

Marcia

• 6 months later...

Archived