Our school's high school principal asked me how many students I could take in ceramics class at a time. Right now there are 15 showing interest for the fall, which is great, I am thrilled that interest in the ceramics class is growing. However, the size of my room will limit the class size, and how many students I can instruct at one time will also limit the number. I am going to rack my brain trying to figure out a more efficient use of the space so I can take as many students as possible, but as far as how many students in one class, what is the most that all you who have taught high school beginner ceramics feel is manageable for a high school Ceramics I class? I want to be able to keep up with the individual instruction that the students will need. I do currently have eight 4th & 5th graders in an after school clay club and I've done clay projects with full classes in K-8. It seems like those might be different than a high school ceramics class, though, where they're learning and refining different skills.

Anyway, what your thoughts on max numbers for a Ceramics 1 class? Thanks.

Bob

On 4/20/2018 at 11:13 AM, PSC said:

I limit my teen classes to 12 mixed level hand builders. I don't have a teen wheel class. Tho my adult wheel class maxes at 4 cause we only have 4 wheels.

Thanks for the reply. Due to the size of my room, I'm probably going to go with ten.

Archived