Sign in to follow this  
1515art

The Big Ceramics Store, shop with caution

This is a good topic if,  as GEP expressed, both negative and positive comments are heard.   Comparing notes on how folks got some results in a bad situation is most useful...if I had a problem with BCS, I would be using Facebook Messenger to connect with Angela because of the great results Sk111 told us about.  

I have had an OK experience with BCS.  Ordered a large Bailey slab roller because it's not available locally and BCS was running a good sale.   I had to track the order down after a little delay but it did arrive.   Sorry to hear others have had such bad experiences.  

Local for me is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Asheville, NC to Highwater Clay,  which I did yesterday to buy my glaze materials and more clay.  They have knowledgeable  technical help available that adds to the benefits to shopping in person  rather than online.   

Have had the same issues with BCS. Latest one was for elements ordered more than a month ago. Yes, the frustrations got to me and I sent a "final" snarky email, however, the lack of communication, the inability to actually speak to a human (as mentioned by others) the lack of Customer Service in even the most basic sense, has led me to decide never to order from them again. I chuckled at the one review where the CS person told him/her that they couldn't possibly know their inventory--Hmm, Made me wonder what they do come IRS time and you have to account for your "inventory" and I wonder if the folks understand how computers work? 

Oh well, there are other places to buy from. Happy Holidays all.

Plenty of supply places don't carry inventory on everything they offer.  Obvious to me they carry a very limited catalog on hand and order from distributors as people place orders.  Despite the name of the website they might just be a smaller 1 or 2 person mail-order business.  

I've heard enough bad news about them to know to never order though.

ya know it is a shame. I used to order from them all the time before they were bought out and they were just like everyone else and just fine. Pottery outfits tend to be on the very small business scale and I have had to pause and smile sometimes while dealing with them. Most I think are staffed by a bunch of potters that would rather be throwing pots but they do seem to more often than not give a crap and usually come through OK.

I would guess that after it was sold, the shell is being bounced around now to just plain ecomm companies and they are trying to do everything mostly drop ship with little or no inventory beyond the basics.

Too bad. 

Edited by Stephen

I had a similar issue.  I placed an order online (and received an order confirmation the same day).  Nine days later, I noticed that I hadn't received any shipping confirmation.  So, I emailed BigCeramicsStore asking about the status of my order. Their auto-reply (laughably) says that they respond within 24-hours or less.  Four days later, I still hadn't gotten any reply, so I followed up again.  Another four days after that, I still hadn't gotten any reply, so I followed up again.   Another day after that, I tried calling them twice during their posted customer service hours.   Both times, an automated message said the office was closed and to call back during business hours (even though I had), and hung up on me.  Then I saw that they had posted a few hours prior on Instagram, so I wrote a comment on their Instagram post to the effect of 'if you have time to post on Instagram, maybe you should take the time to respond to customer calls/emails.'  Within just a few hours, they had deleted my comment.  So, apparently they have time to sanitize customer criticism online, but not to actually provide customer service.  What a total scam operation.  I'm disputing with my credit card company.  Don't order from these guys.

Updated to add:  After repeatedly calling/emailing them to no avail, I publicly called them out on their BBB/Facebook pages.  Only then did they finally respond to me via email, only to tell me that all the items I had ordered were out of stock.  Delightful.  Glad they finally replied, but you shouldn't have to publicly shame a company into providing rudimentary customer service.

Edited by NN1
New developments regarding posted matter