Hi,

I plan to move in the next year or two, and I wanted to know if there are any great ceramic communities that I should know of before I choose a city/state to move. I currently live in Ohio but I am willing to move anywhere in the US. I just need a new environment and I prefer to be close to a ceramic community. 

Just tell me the city/state and how cool the community is.

Thank you.

small towns, bakersville, nc, seagrove, nc.  

bigger city, asheville, nc.

small area of historic interest in pottery, northeast georgia.  

ohio has westerville near columbus.

look in the back of some of the collection type of pottery books and see the names of the towns where the featured artists live.  they may have moved but you can get an idea.  books are 500 mugs, 500 plates, etc.

anywhere near the large craft centers, penland, the bray, berea, gatlinburg, peters valley, brasstown, the one in maine Watershed, the edge of california and nevada, just about anywhere you can find potters.

Alexis,

Welcome to our online community.  I guess it would be helpful to understand what you mean by a ceramic community and what you are hoping to find.  For example, ceramic communities could vary from a rural area like Seagrove, NC that has ~70 working potteries within a 25 mile radius or it could mean an area with several community centers that offer pottery classes and a potters guild such as the Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC) or maybe something else.  

As Old Lady mentioned, Penland area has a lot of potters as does Asheville, NC.  There's also lots of potters around  Floyd, VA and  the St. Croix Valley in Minnesota.  

One thing to keep in mind, just because there are a lot of potters in an area, it doesn't necessarily mean that they see each other that much (as they are usually working too hard).  You are wise to do your due diligence to make sure it meets all your needs.

-SD

Minneapolis has a great clay center and good community, Asheville, NC, Philadelphia has the Clay studio and has been a great clay city. The clay studio is moving to a new location and expanding its space.  Missoula , Montana has an extremely well developed community clay center and lots of potters in the area. Red Lodge, Mt. has the Red Lodge Clay center with semi annual workshops. Tucson has an active clay community. Austin also has a very active clay community. 

Marcia

Archived