Crazy requests

This past few months I have had some really odd requests. Whether on the phone or e-mail.

The most ludicrous was a call a few days ago. The conversation went as follows.

Hello

a guys says this-(no name)

I broke my toilet ,a piece broke off and I lost the piece ,

can you fix it, with another piece that you make and I can attach it somehow ?

No I cannot do that as there are many factors like shrinkage-

Ok goodbye.

I never got a name or where this broken toilet was but it was the strangest of many odd request so far this year. Maybe its the piece I wrote for CM or maybe the planets re aligned weird.

9 hours ago, Mark C. said:

This past few months I have had some really odd requests. Whether on the phone or e-mail.

The most ludicrous was a call a few days ago. The conversation went as follows.

Hello

a guys says this-(no name)

I broke my toilet ,a piece broke off and I lost the piece ,

can you fix it, with another piece that you make and I can attach it somehow ?

No I cannot do that as there are many factors like shrinkage-

Ok goodbye.

I never got a name or where this broken toilet was but it was the strangest of many odd request so far this year. Maybe its the piece I wrote for CM or maybe the planets re aligned weird.

Great story.   Did they have a Hawaiian accent?  Just checking....

I think this must certainly be seen as de facto confirmation of “legendary status” in the ceramics world.  If random strangers call begging you to perform miracles with clay beyond the realm of any human potter, surely you have ascended to a higher plane of existence?  

While we are on that, can you make me a bottle that will turn water into something red?

:lol:

Mark, if you get many such requests, you could make a compilation of them for an eventual humor book, which could be illustrated with cartoons, of crazy requests to artists.

I have known fine art painters to get requests to paint rooms or to copy commercial art (like images of Superman), or to produce commercial signs for a business... But in the cases I have encountered, the requests were from people who knew them, like an in-law or family friend.

Mark ... I had this exact kind of experience ... it went on for months until I finally asked a caller where they were getting my name from.  It turns out that Google was listing me on their directory as a Pottery resource ... if you Googled “Pottery Raleigh” my info popped up ...I was listed on Google maps ... everywhere. I went in and changed my profile listing and the calls stopped. Sorry, this was last year and I can’t quite remember how I changed it but it worked.

Archived