New Skutt wheel issues

Okay well the motor and controller have been replaced, and it sounded perfectly fine for about a week. It has since started making the same metallic vibrating noise, I will attach another video. There is a whine which sounds normal to me, but at certain speeds something metal is vibrating. I have reason to believe it’s the housing for the brushes, or possible the brushes themselves but I can’t say for sure.  It sounds too metallic to be the brushes themselves. https://youtu.be/Gs1LZ5-SJoA

Thanks Neil, but I’m still not exactly sure how to use one of those. I got one a few weeks ago but have been hesitant to stick it in the motor. You leave the brush in place and put the stick next to it? Or take the brush out and put the stick in where the brush was? Do you have the motor turned on and rotating or off and manually spin it? 

Hi again,

If he does the commutator stone, would it void his warranty?

I am thinking about buying a Skutt wheel and this problem with the noise really makes me hesitate. I do not notice on your video that it sounds very noticeable a sound to me until the very end.  Having said this, I do not own any wheel and work on brents at the college which all sound worse than your video.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. That's just the sound of an electric motor at work as I may have expressed.

It's not suppose to be completely silent. It's probably part of the Skutt using a sturdier motor than others as well.

There may be some magnet to rotor contact which might recede. I reckon that's what this commutator stone is for. Never used one myself though.

You leave the brush in place and put the stick next to it? Or take the brush out and put the stick in where the brush was? Do you have the motor turned on and rotating or off and manually spin it? )

I would manually spin it in brush hole with all power turned off as thats the area that the brush hits. Pull a brush and spin the head or belt.It cleans the copper slightly.Should not void anything

Sounds 'bout the same as my Skutt, however, there's an additional layer of yeck sound kicks in ~:05-:10 and again later as you come off the gas.

I've put a few hours on mine since bringing it home; just noticed that clockwise (how I throw) is quieter than cclockwise now, where was about the same initially.

My garage boombox picks up some e noise from the Skutt when tuned to public radio tho' arrg! Is my Skutt a closeminded nonprogressive?

On 6/9/2018 at 6:46 AM, Hulk said:

Sounds 'bout the same as my Skutt, however, there's an additional layer of yeck sound kicks in ~:05-:10 and again later as you come off the gas.

I've put a few hours on mine since bringing it home; just noticed that clockwise (how I throw) is quieter than cclockwise now, where was about the same initially.

My garage boombox picks up some e noise from the Skutt when tuned to public radio tho' arrg! Is my Skutt a closeminded nonprogressive?

Ha hey! Mine does somewhat the same. My FM receiver's volume goes down when I step on the gas...dangit.

For radio interférence issues with motors try these

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrite-Black-Noise-Suppressor-Clip-20Pcs/dp/B078SNR9XB/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1528762475&sr=8-14&keywords=magnetic+interference+filter

You put the right size over the cord near the motor-they sometimes work great other times not at all-cheap trick when they work.

Sounds like these wheels have no noise suppression built into the controller. I also wonder why the communicator needs cleaning so much? Never had to clean one of mine?

13 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Sounds like these wheels have no noise suppression built into the controller. I also wonder why the communicator needs cleaning so much? Never had to clean one of mine?

These are different motors than Brent uses. The TS motors are much larger, continuous duty rated motors. The 1/3 hp is as big as a 1hp Brent. They take longer for everything in the motor to get settled in. The stone makes quick work of it.

Yes I would put them on both-they are cheap.I have had them work great and also not at all. Its a 50/50 deal.

Not sure why TH wheels does not have a noise suppressor in the controller. SKutt took them over and is  known for cutting corners.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay but I’m just finally finding time to update you on the wheel. The commutator stone works to silence the noise, although I’ve been having to use it every week or two because it starts up again after use. I got one like this https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48990741

I have a theory, though. Last night when I was using the stone, I accidentally pressed on the brush itself when trying to get the stone to the commutator, and the noise stopped. Like I said in an earlier post, I think the brush itself (or possibly the metal bracket it resides in) is what is vibrating. The stone must be cleaning whatever is building up on the commutator to make the brushes (or brush) vibrate. 

I also have a point to make about the response of “these are big industrial motors, they make noise”.  The marketing info for the ssx controller says multiple times that it makes the wheel “quiet”, or “quieter”. My point is simply that this marketing is misleading and dishonest if the wheel makes the noises mine is making. It’s not quiet, and certainly not quieter than any other wheel I’ve used (I’ve used lots of wheels), or even the one at MN clay that didn’t have the ssx upgrade. 

And it probably goes without saying, I’m pretty irritated that I went through the trouble of bringing my wheel in to replace the motor and controller when it seems pretty apparent now that it was a waste of time. Why doesn’t Skutt just tell people to use the stone? Give people a stone with their purchase? Better yet, use different motors or brushes that don’t have this problem? 

Thanks for the update! 

Perhaps a spot of silicone grease in the brusholder would help? 

Sounds like my Skutt's belts are the making most of the noise, which has isn't terribly loud, comparing to the Brents at the Junior College, about the same.

Mark, thanks for the tip on the noise suppressor! I'm not getting FM noise now - weird, was getting intermittent racket from the lighting fixture as well.

1 hour ago, Brettmonahan said:

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay but I’m just finally finding time to update you on the wheel. The commutator stone works to silence the noise, although I’ve been having to use it every week or two because it starts up again after use. I got one like this https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48990741

I have a theory, though. Last night when I was using the stone, I accidentally pressed on the brush itself when trying to get the stone to the commutator, and the noise stopped. Like I said in an earlier post, I think the brush itself (or possibly the metal bracket it resides in) is what is vibrating. The stone must be cleaning whatever is building up on the commutator to make the brushes (or brush) vibrate. 

I also have a point to make about the response of “these are big industrial motors, they make noise”.  The marketing info for the ssx controller says multiple times that it makes the wheel “quiet”, or “quieter”. My point is simply that this marketing is misleading and dishonest if the wheel makes the noises mine is making. It’s not quiet, and certainly not quieter than any other wheel I’ve used (I’ve used lots of wheels), or even the one at MN clay that didn’t have the ssx upgrade. 

And it probably goes without saying, I’m pretty irritated that I went through the trouble of bringing my wheel in to replace the motor and controller when it seems pretty apparent now that it was a waste of time. Why doesn’t Skutt just tell people to use the stone? Give people a stone with their purchase? Better yet, use different motors or brushes that don’t have this problem? 

I rarely ever have to use the stone on my wheels any more. I'm confident that the noise on yours will stop once you get some hours on the motor. Things just have to get seated in and comfortable in there. These are good motors with lots of torque, and they don't heat up and lose power with extended use like the smaller motors do. It's a little bit of a trade-off, but worth in IMO. As for the SSX not being quieter, I've never used one so I can't help you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I'm loving my new Legend. I finally got out there and a threw a bunch of cylinders.

This thing is smooth and as quiet as can be.  (non-SSX drive)

BTW, I did put a couple nose suppressors on the plug and peddle and my FM interference is gone.

Ahhhh!...

1 hour ago, Rex Johnson said:

Gotta say I'm loving my new Legend. I finally got out there and a threw a bunch of cylinders.

This thing is smooth and as quiet as can be.  (non-SSX drive)

BTW, I did put a couple nose suppressors on the plug and peddle and my FM interference is gone.

Ahhhh!...

Excellent.

Archived