What’s on your workbench?

I'm immersed now in my summer teaching intensive at the state university, so little will happen clay-wise until August.

I have destined for the kiln today a little creamer for my sister, a small snack bowl, a  hand-built heavy rice bowl in a squared shape with impressions of birds from a wood roller, and a porcelain plate that will eventually have painted in underglaze a friend's Newfkom (cross between Newfoundland and Komodor) in front of the tiny houseboat to which they have just moved..

• Pres featured this topic

Nothing on my work bench,  what little cool air I get in my studio can't keep up with the hot weather.  There is suppose to be a break in the heat next week,  so I am just taking care of things this week that life throws at you.     Potter

Well lets see the past two days has been high production-These pots which I'm sponging on the white table and in the far distance (not the ones that need handles or trimming on plaster bats) where loaded today at noon and are now at 8pm about 1200 degrees. I sponged them today in sun dried them a few hours -still wet and slow fired them about 10 hours in gas car kiln today/night

That load was about 150 spoon rests and 60 sponge holders and a lot of mugs and bowls some where serving size.

Glaze day is friday

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Gabby,

They are for Savannah Bee, a honey company that is now selling my honey jars, mugs, and soon teapots. Nice catch on the decoration. I stamp them before shaping, that makes the images larger where they get expanded. The lids are stamped after trimming.

best,

Pres

Pres those teapots look like they would be fun to make,  I love making teapots.  I hope I can retrain my brain and arm connection so I can throw them on electric wheel I just bought.   I just had the foot pedal adjusted so that made a huge difference.  Losing the ability to throw was the first thing I lost to MS ,  I am slowly retraining my brain , I can throw small bows and cups now.  Mark C found me the wheel on E-bay so I sold my kick wheel  and forging forward with my quest.   Denice

• 3 weeks later...

stuff in progress or about to be. Trying to finish up the smaller bits, still have a lot. Vase needs glaze, as yet no clue what it wants. the thing stuffed w/ paper towels is my first attempt at a drawer sachet for personal use, but I'd like to make an optionally hanging version to sell and I'm planting some lavender, old roses and scented geraniums partly for this purpose. the rest are mainly impression makers. Note the one with cassius slip over it, stroke of inspiration, now I can see what my rollers are without picking them up and examining them. I'd like to sell some of those also as I enjoy the carving and inventing designs. 

The results of the mermaid plate. She looks like she forgot to wear her waterproof mascara...also the rock was supposed to be mossy layers of green, turned to mud instead. Her tail came out beautifully, my drawing is quite nice if I do say so, and I love my idea of using king kelp as a border even though the underglaze colors didn't quite work. "...by sea-girls wreathed in seaweed red and brown..." -I like enough about this I might try it again using the same drawing. Low fire white clay w/ sifted unwashed sand from the dunes nearby. seemed to work well except for an unfortunate iron spot too close to her face, anywhere else it would have been fine. Half of this idea was to come up with some cooking safe serving ware, so I thought I'd photo it before I did a bake test. 

On the worktable Aug 7, 2018.jpg

Mermaid finished image.jpg

Yappy, I always like seeing your experiments.

I have never seen a nude on a baking dish.

Maybe a year ago I did a sculpture of my deceased bulldog which looked so cute after bisque firing, perfectly red/white/black (her authentic colors) and then disappointed me after glaze firing. Somehow I missed that the terracotta underglaze would no longer be terracotta colored once fired at cone 5. Live and learn.

Tomorrow on my workbench will be the first piece I will have done with many colors of underglaze.  Usually I just do black ad white or dark blue and white or green. The clay is red, so I expect to be surprised but hope not to be too surprised. 

Looking forward to seeing what you're working on. Yes the underglazes seem to have tricks up their sleeves and change even on low-fire white clay more than I remembered from previous projects. I figured the nude would lend a new aspect to serving shrimp surprise or whatever might be served in it. 

My workbench is empty! Well besides all the non pottery related junk on it. I just pulled out some of the best yunomi I have ever made in my entire life. So that was epic. I am going to make 6 bowls to donate to the Patsiliga kiln in south Georgia, its a big woodfired kiln. I have never been a part of the wood firing, but I would like to be one day. I like supporting stuff like that anyways. I am going to go to the bowl event and deliver my bowls and maybe even buy someone else's work. I might post the bowls after I have slipped them with black crackle slip, and maybe after the kiln as well, since this seems like a progress type of thread! 

I am glad everyone is still here rocking away. Good to be back even if its only for a few weeks.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:55 PM, yappystudent said:

stuff in progress or about to be. Trying to finish up the smaller bits, still have a lot. Vase needs glaze, as yet no clue what it wants. the thing stuffed w/ paper towels is my first attempt at a drawer sachet for personal use, but I'd like to make an optionally hanging version to sell and I'm planting some lavender, old roses and scented geraniums partly for this purpose. the rest are mainly impression makers. Note the one with cassius slip over it, stroke of inspiration, now I can see what my rollers are without picking them up and examining them. I'd like to sell some of those also as I enjoy the carving and inventing designs. 

The results of the mermaid plate. She looks like she forgot to wear her waterproof mascara...also the rock was supposed to be mossy layers of green, turned to mud instead. Her tail came out beautifully, my drawing is quite nice if I do say so, and I love my idea of using king kelp as a border even though the underglaze colors didn't quite work. "...by sea-girls wreathed in seaweed red and brown..." -I like enough about this I might try it again using the same drawing. Low fire white clay w/ sifted unwashed sand from the dunes nearby. seemed to work well except for an unfortunate iron spot too close to her face, anywhere else it would have been fine. Half of this idea was to come up with some cooking safe serving ware, so I thought I'd photo it before I did a bake test. 

On the worktable Aug 7, 2018.jpg

Mermaid finished image.jpg

Green Mason stains are tricky. Some particularly won't work as well as others with your overglaze. Do some tests. Nice mermaid, will go well with crab dip!

I like your sachets, is the idea to stuff a net bag of aromatics into the large hole?

Nothing, it's in the kiln ready to be fired on Wednesday.

Bought 5 pieces of greenware home from Potter's Camp.

• a couple of plates using a jigger/jolly machine, slip decorated and screen printed on, just daubed slip on the other,
  •  a couple of pressed trinket trays - rolled out clay, rolled again with icing rolling pins, cut into a curvy rectangle and pressed by wood blocks into thick foam,
  • and a paper-resist slipped, waxed, incised, cobalt-washed slab that I don't think I'll like when it's finished, but I brought it home to show others the techniques.  No point learning something new if you don't pass it on.