Mugs mugs mugs. I'm down to my last bag of my regular clay, gonna have to switch since all I've got is 100lbs each of bmix and porcelain and I need to use it up.  I have two bisque loads ready of stuff so will be firing one this weekend.  Until then I have 20 mugs to trim and put handles on and this last 25 lbs of Klamath yellow to make into bowls.  Looks like we will have some decent dry weather for the next few days so hopefully all this stuff will be ready to trim tomorrowish.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:42 AM, liambesaw said:

gonna have to switch since all I've got is 100lbs each of bmix and porcelain and I need to use it up. 

Don't use it just because you have it.  If you don't like it, it is cheaper to throw/give it away than spend time making stuff with it.

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Don't use it just because you have it.  If you don't like it, it is cheaper to throw/give it away than spend time making stuff with it.

I've been looking for a reason to give porcelain a try, and of course b-mix is always a pleasure to throw with.  I'm just practicing practicing practicing so any port in a storm I suppose.  I have about 100lbs worth of reclaim I can dry and wedge if I'm desperate for some Klamath yellow haha

Ok I was able to trim 12 of them and tomorrow I'll trim the rest and add handles.  I'm doing all of my pottery while my wife is sleeping and our husky puppy keeps barking so I have to go inside and calm him down while I'm working, making this a really drawn out process this week.

But I made some extruder dies and modified a caulk gun to make my handles so we will see how that works out.  

IMG_20181108_231215-1512x2016.jpg

Working on a kiln load-I am likeing the direction I am heading-a bit larger, a bit more mainstream, trying to refine glaze combinations. This tile (to fit as a top for an old black iron ash tray stand I picked up) is commercial dark Gold, Ivory Crystal, and Orion. Should be interesting--we'll see. 

20181108_210156sm.jpg

Did a glaze firing over the weekend.  Neighbor stopped by just as cone 5 was on the bend so I turned down the gas to chat with him.  Came back to the cone pack flat and the pyrometer reading cone 9. Ugh.  All of the bowls I had in there were bloated super horribly, and half of the mugs as well.  There are some keepers though so it's not a total loss.  Just have to laugh to keep from crying haha.IMG_20181112_094830-756x1008.jpg.7f094c57b39b13c848a2cede200313e5.jpg

IMG_20181112_085011-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20181112_084913-1008x756.jpg

IMG_20181112_084917-1008x756.jpg

32 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

I have an old kiln log page that shows a radical jump to ^10++ and the notation TED GOES TO SLEEP 

Comiserations 

Haha yeah, my own dumb fault of course.  I was in reduction starting at cone 4, when I turned down the gas to soak it allowed more air to burn and the temperature went up.  It's always a good time for a lesson, that's what I say!