What’s on your workbench?

Mugs mugs mugs. I'm down to my last bag of my regular clay, gonna have to switch since all I've got is 100lbs each of bmix and porcelain and I need to use it up.  I have two bisque loads ready of stuff so will be firing one this weekend.  Until then I have 20 mugs to trim and put handles on and this last 25 lbs of Klamath yellow to make into bowls.  Looks like we will have some decent dry weather for the next few days so hopefully all this stuff will be ready to trim tomorrowish.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:42 AM, liambesaw said:

gonna have to switch since all I've got is 100lbs each of bmix and porcelain and I need to use it up. 

Don't use it just because you have it.  If you don't like it, it is cheaper to throw/give it away than spend time making stuff with it.

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Don't use it just because you have it.  If you don't like it, it is cheaper to throw/give it away than spend time making stuff with it.

I've been looking for a reason to give porcelain a try, and of course b-mix is always a pleasure to throw with.  I'm just practicing practicing practicing so any port in a storm I suppose.  I have about 100lbs worth of reclaim I can dry and wedge if I'm desperate for some Klamath yellow haha

Ok I was able to trim 12 of them and tomorrow I'll trim the rest and add handles.  I'm doing all of my pottery while my wife is sleeping and our husky puppy keeps barking so I have to go inside and calm him down while I'm working, making this a really drawn out process this week.

But I made some extruder dies and modified a caulk gun to make my handles so we will see how that works out.  

IMG_20181108_231215-1512x2016.jpg

Working on a kiln load-I am likeing the direction I am heading-a bit larger, a bit more mainstream, trying to refine glaze combinations. This tile (to fit as a top for an old black iron ash tray stand I picked up) is commercial dark Gold, Ivory Crystal, and Orion. Should be interesting--we'll see. 

20181108_210156sm.jpg

Did a glaze firing over the weekend.  Neighbor stopped by just as cone 5 was on the bend so I turned down the gas to chat with him.  Came back to the cone pack flat and the pyrometer reading cone 9. Ugh.  All of the bowls I had in there were bloated super horribly, and half of the mugs as well.  There are some keepers though so it's not a total loss.  Just have to laugh to keep from crying haha.IMG_20181112_094830-756x1008.jpg.7f094c57b39b13c848a2cede200313e5.jpg

IMG_20181112_085011-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20181112_084913-1008x756.jpg

IMG_20181112_084917-1008x756.jpg

32 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

I have an old kiln log page that shows a radical jump to ^10++ and the notation TED GOES TO SLEEP 

Comiserations 

Haha yeah, my own dumb fault of course.  I was in reduction starting at cone 4, when I turned down the gas to soak it allowed more air to burn and the temperature went up.  It's always a good time for a lesson, that's what I say!

Two Kilns are cooling  with glaze wares so tables are empty-New throwing starts in am-salt cellars,miso bowls and small cereal bowls for am.

Only a few fires left this year. I'm way ahead with  at this point a canceled show from broken arm-sounds strange but van is still packed full and back sock is piling up priced and boxed.

Ran out of my normal clay so I've been going through some other dark clays I bought to try out.  Been working on a new form I like so I've got a handful of these drying up right now, all different weights.  The one in the picture here is 7 lbs, have a few 5 lbs ones and a few 2 lbs ones as well.  

Ended up recycling 50 lbs last week, I have wedged most of it, still have about 15 lbs to wedge and bag.  Not sure how long I should let it sit before trying to throw with it.

I have 50 lbs of porcelain and another 100 lbs of white stoneware I want to get through before I make another clay order, so I'll be cleaning my wheel and tools at some point this week.  Hey I might even get some free time over the 4 day weekend hah.

IMG_20181120_224943_crop_601x936.jpg

Edited by liambesaw

Nothing on my work table still reworking my chemical storage.    Bought a  swivel bar stool on the  Black Friday  sale at Menards for $29.00 today.   It looks a lot like the expensive throwing potter's  stool I have seen on-line.   It is a little bit too  tall so I will shorten the legs and cut them so  it  will tilt forward.  I am also going to add  some padding to the seat  so I can work longer at the wheel.    It has good bones,  I think it will be great  after I do a few modifications,  I have been using a old wooden stool that I cut the legs off.   Denice

Well worked my way through all of my bags of iron-rich stoneware.... Or so I thought.  100 lbs of reclaim looks just about ready to throw with, so I'll be wedging up some of that tonight to see if it's still got legs.  While burning through my bags I used this stuff called Goldbar Brown and it was pretty stiff, but it made throwing large pretty easy, might have to pick some more of it up if I like the fired appearance.  I made a pretty good sized lidded jar with it and I know with my standard clay I would have had the torch out a few times at least.

IMG_20181125_160710_crop_621x1008.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

Very nice, @liambesaw! Aaaand you've discovered the joys of throwing with stiffer clay. I prefer it. 

It's definitely more work to wedge, center and pull but it seems to take a beating really well.  Just finished throwing a couple 10 pound pots with the reclaim, it definitely needed a softer touch but good news is, it's still plenty plastic!

12 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Well worked my way through all of my bags of iron-rich stoneware.... Or so I thought.  100 lbs of reclaim looks just about ready to throw with, so I'll be wedging up some of that tonight to see if it's still got legs.  While burning through my bags I used this stuff called Goldbar Brown and it was pretty stiff, but it made throwing large pretty easy, might have to pick some more of it up if I like the fired appearance.  I made a pretty good sized lidded jar with it and I know with my standard clay I would have had the torch out a few times at least.

Very interesting! What are the dimensions?

4 minutes ago, Gabby said:

Very interesting! What are the dimensions?

Well with the lid on it I'd say between 18 and 20 inches, I'll have to measure when I get a chance, it's about as tall as I can go in my kiln though, I have a stick to measure that because with the shelf on the floor I have 20 inches.

Edited by liambesaw

On 11/12/2018 at 11:53 AM, liambesaw said:

Did a glaze firing over the weekend.  Neighbor stopped by just as cone 5 was on the bend so I turned down the gas to chat with him.  Came back to the cone pack flat and the pyrometer reading cone 9. Ugh.  All of the bowls I had in there were bloated super horribly, and half of the mugs as well.  There are some keepers though so it's not a total loss. 

DOH!

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing noodle bowls this week but took a break to make this jar.  Had to mix it up.  Over the weekend I did a bisque and a glaze firing of some mugs for Christmas gifts, they turned out OK, had some bowls in there too which turned out better.  Will focus on bowls the rest of the week, want to make enough for a kiln load by the weekend and see if I cant get them bisqued and glazed.  Looking for a used kiln this holiday season for bisquing since that part of my firing takes the longest and I have to babysit the kiln the entire 12 hours.  It would free me up to do other things.

IMG_20181204_234931-900x1267.jpg

1544029120418.jpg

1544029098028.jpg