What’s on your workbench?

Yeah, liambesaw, I have a bit of a problem moving from the Hazelnut brown of SC to the 630 white stoneware. Have come to using a cover board over my wedging table to wedge, have to clean out all buckets and such and  have made a second extruder tube for the power caulk gun/extruder. Little things help.

best,

Pres

When I ran two color bodies-stoneware and porcelain -I used two wheels two wedging areas and two separate piles of bats.

(toss a few where the lids weren't quite matched up.)

just use a chuck and trim the lids to fit.If its a wider jar well then you need to throw a larger lid.I always write inside with wet finger on lids the metric CM

that way I know what it was.

9 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

When I ran two color bodies-stoneware and porcelain -I used two wheels two wedging areas and two separate piles of bats.

(toss a few where the lids weren't quite matched up.)

just use a chuck and trim the lids to fit.If its a wider jar well then you need to throw a larger lid.I always write inside with wet finger on lids the metric CM

that way I know what it was.

Wow that's a great idea, I haven't had much luck throwing lids to pots at different times due to the shrinkage, but I will take note on wet size next time!  Man you're a font of knowledge!

What's on my workbench?

Another trip down the rabbit hole.  First tested these glazes in 2014 in an electric kiln.  Gave up as they didn't mature at ^6, and no-one else fires that high and I can't produce enough "test tiles" to fill the kiln.

large.20181012_164959.jpg.55ff53be0552e6large.20181008_124154.jpg.e39bfc445698ealarge.20181008_021556.jpg.1e25678282ec43

Off to a wood-firing next weekend, so decided to make some more tests and re-hydrate those glazes.  I'll say hello to the mad-hatter and the rabbit from you all while I'm down there.   Middle photo are some tubes for testing, bottom is "posh" catcher trays to stand the tubes in.  Then we'll only have to wad the bottom of the trays, not all the tubes.

12 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Put a space heater in the shed overnight and things firmed up enough to trim for the most part.  Got 8 of them trimmed up, probably gonna toss a few where the lids weren't quite matched up.

Tomorrow I'll be wedging and throwing, don't know what yet, something will strike me!

IMG_20181011_233358-1008x756.jpg

I love your results here, particularly the front left.

Finished a nice moon shape pot yesterday which isn't easy  when you coil.  Put up new lights for my studio,  better color and brighter lights,  it made most of the studio look better.  I had one corner of the room that had damaged sheetrock  from a roof leak suddenly it stuck out like a sore thumb.  I have it remudded and taped and will probably paint it today.   Denice

5 minutes ago, oldlady said:

am i the only one who cannot see any of the photos in all the posts above?   i get a little symbol of a photo, some numbers and nothing else.  clicking on them does no good.  what am i doing wrong or what happened to everything on page 7?

I see it all

3 hours ago, oldlady said:

am i the only one who cannot see any of the photos in all the posts above?   i get a little symbol of a photo, some numbers and nothing else.  clicking on them does no good.  what am i doing wrong or what happened to everything on page 7?

I see them using Chrome as my browser.

Often when I cannot see something it is because I am using a browser that doesn't work as well for things on some sites. Sometimes Internet Explorer or Firefox works better.

The significance of this worktable is that it is a second one (someone has been busy/finally)-the main one is inside, this is on the porch-the "spill over" items are a bisqued mix for raku this weekend,  a mid fire electric later, and a future angama wood fire. 

20181026_190447sm.jpg

16 hours ago, LeeU said:

The significance of this worktable is that it is a second one (someone has been busy/finally)-the main one is inside, this is on the porch-the "spill over" items are a bisqued mix for raku this weekend,  a mid fire electric later, and a future angama wood fire. 

20181026_190447sm.jpg

This looks like some new kinds of shapes for you,  right?  The tall squared vessel in the bottom left looks different from things on your website, and I am trying to figure out what that middle item with the lid is.

8 hours ago, Gabby said:

new kinds of shapes

The lower left above is a small tray just stacked on top of a business card holder laying on it's back LOL--both for a pending raku fire.  The vessels in the attached pic are for the anagama firing in the spring (I missed the fall fire.) The one on the left is a smoker, for Amazonian wood used in meditation; the one on the right is a box with a "fluid" lid. Both are quite tactile. I have high hopes for the wood fire effects! 

20181027_204137sm.jpg

1 minute ago, LeeU said:

The lower left above is a small tray just stacked on top of a business card holder laying on it's back LOL--both for a pending raku fire.  The vessels in the attached pic are for the anagama firing in the spring (I missed the fall fire.) The one on the left is a smoker, for Amazonian wood used in meditation; the one on the right is a box with a "fluid" lid. Both are quite tactile. I have high hopes for the wood fire effects! 

20181027_204137sm.jpg

Those were the two I was asking about- not the stacked pieces at bottom left in the original photo.

I will look forward to seeing the results!

I am waiting for my raku opportunity. A place nearby offers the chance to put three medium pieces in the first Saturday of every month. The first one of those I don't have a conflict is January 5.  So it may be the first New Years resolution I fulfill.

On my workbench are the fired items from wood-kiln firing last weekend:

image.png.a10b19d627734e8a98f88c83c6bea504.png

The cylinders are tests, the flat cookies are for herb labels, the two-handed cups are for my mum.  The two square boxes with pointed tops are copied from sweetie bags at a recent wedding.

Edited by Chilly