What’s on your workbench?

24 minutes ago, Benzine said:

What is the function of that vessel, with the handles positioned that way, Liam?

Just a vase, the handles are just for looks, look how wide they are, that would be uncomfortable to hold by them.  I'm hoping that either this one or the similar one I threw last night will make it through the process of firing and whatnot so that I can give one to my neighbor that is moving away as a housewarming gift.

6 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Just a vase, the handles are just for looks, look how wide they are, that would be uncomfortable to hold by them.  I'm hoping that either this one or the similar one I threw last night will make it through the process of firing and whatnot so that I can give one to my neighbor that is moving away as a housewarming gift.

I wondered, if it was just decorative, but wasn't sure if there was some purpose specific ware, that I had never seen.

I like it aesthetically and since I can palm a basketball it looks very inviting  for my hand.  It is also practical for when my siblings are at the table. We each have an equal opportunity to snatch it! As for pouring, well maybe use my other hand on the bottom.

42 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

This vessel wouldn't work for this purpose because of the size of the thing, but religious Jews before meals do a sort of ritual hand wash that involves pouring water over one hand and then the other with a three-handled pitcher, or with two handles 120' apart, called a laver.

Edited by Gabby

1 hour ago, Gabby said:

This vessel wouldn't work for this purpose because of the size of the thing, but religious Jews before meals do a sort of ritual hand wash that involves pouring water over one hand and then the other with a three-handled pitcher, or with two handles 120' apart, called a laver.

That's neat!  I never would have thought.  It's actually surprisingly light weight, but full of water this thing would be a monster!

Here's a video of me throwing a similar one, just a few lbs smaller, last night.  Different angle, less pajama.

Pretty good with that left hand, for a bit there I thought you were going to throw left handed but rotating counter clockwise! I am ok with mine and stumped one of our RA’s recently when he  switched my wheel direction while I was away and then went cross eyed when I came back and just finished shaping without swapping the direction back. He just walked away shaking his head.

nice video

Edited by Bill Kielb

13 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Pretty good with that left hand, for a bit there I thought you were going to throw left handed but rotating counter clockwise! I am ok with mine and stumped one of our RA’s recently when he  switched my wheel direction while I was away and then went cross eyed when I came back and just finished shaping without swapping the direction back. He just walked away shaking his head.

nice video

My throwing is a combination of left and right.  I am left handed, but throw mostly right.  Since I learned in college, with the wheel going either direction, I picked up bits and pieces of both.  I only throw with the wheel going counterclockwise now, and tell my students that throwing with the wheel going clockwise, messes me up to no end.  We only have two wheels that can go clockwise; the kick wheel and our Shimpo RK-2.  Sometimes, when they ask for help, I won't notice the direction, and wonder why I'm off my game for a few moments.  Maybe some day I'll better learn to throw both directions... I should probably focus more on improving with one direction first!

Also, why did  he switch your wheel direction to begin with?  Just to mess with you?

liam, may i suggest that you get a much finer grain sponge?   that one leaves heavy trails of slip where you do not want them.   cutting a tile grout sponge in half and then cutting the half into bread thick slices gives you a number of throwing sponges and one bigger clean-up one.  

4 minutes ago, oldlady said:

liam, may i suggest that you get a much finer grain sponge?   that one leaves heavy trails of slip where you do not want them.   cutting a tile grout sponge in half and then cutting the half into bread thick slices gives you a number of throwing sponges and one bigger clean-up one.  

The yellow sponge I use? Or the one I keep in my hand?  I use a piece of foam from a box of cones for my hand one and the standard yellow Hydra ones for mopping out and cleaning the surface.  I have a bunch of grout sponges but they seem the same as the yellow ones.  

I do have some really fine makeup sponges, but they stick like crazy to the clay, I only use them when smoothing after attaching handles or whatnot.

Speaking of handles, I attached some to the other vase I threw.  Still three handles but smaller and in a different style.  They're still really soft so I'm gonna have to clean them up when I get home from work tonight.

IMG_20190315_000714-1209x1612.jpg

6 minutes ago, oldlady said:

whatever sponge you used on the first 3 handled pot left trails that you would have to remove.   i didn't see the video until after my post.

Ahh, yeah that's the stock yellow sponge, it was also very soft when I attached the handles, gonna clean them both up once they're not quite so floppy.  I will try using a cut up grout sponge, thanks for the tip

So I know this is my kitchen counter, but the light on my workbench turns most photos very yellow. This medicine set will be my own entry to the mug portion of the “Bonspiel: Canadians and Their Love of Winter Sport” show at NCECA this year. After some adventures I had with my kids and ear infections last month, I feel like avoiding illness is a winter sport!

If you’re coming this year, check out the show. We’re on the Minneapolis Picks bus tour and shuttle route on Wednesday.

C63A02A5-192A-43F4-9EC4-4EA0107C98B2.jpeg