What’s on your workbench?

My thought is the sponge leans against the side at an angle so air hits just about everywhere. It may be extra work for not.

I have seen them with shark teeth on sides -as well as the bottom cut out on bottom-both things are unnecessary . Our sponges to not drip are get loose.

I had a Japanese potter send me oine from Japan with the bottom cut out an a panda bear on the side. Now that was time consuming.

I put put holes in about 1/2 my extruded soap dishes-holes take extra time  to clean up.-just a thought. As you know these sell better with one demo sponge in them on of them.

Thanks Mark, it might be just psychological and not help with drying, but I do feel it adds something visually.  I think I have seen the shark teeth as well, and a shark teeth toothbrush holder.

I saw one pottery booth with sponges in all of them, came with a free sponge. I would have to put spoons in those rests or no one would know what they are, lol.

Welp, had to go get clay again, was down to my last box.  This time I decided to go ahead and bring a half ton home, which is all I trusted myself and my Tahoe to drive safely in crazy downpour.  500lbs of Klamath yellow and 500 lbs of vashon red.  I really like the yellow as a fast, soft clay and the red as a stiffer smoother clay.  Also picked up two new kiln shelves for the kiln I got in December.  The ones it came with were both cracked and covered in lowfire glaze.  Now I can get 3 shelves of mugs in my kiln at once which will be very nice.  

Speaking of kilns, I'm doing a full bisque right now!  So far I've been able to fill my kiln every week with a bisque, I'm pretty happy with that!  

This week on my workbench is more spoonrests and mugs.  I spent this last week doing just a bunch of spoonrests.

IMG_20190217_104411_crop_764x742.jpg

I have a huge tile on my work bench that I rolled out yesterday,  I am going to work on sculpting the design in it today.   I am making a press mold,  I need 18 tiles to build a  grill in the  porch window.   It is going to take me longer than I thought to complete this project,  my mother in-law had a stroke  a hour before her 96th birthday party Saturday.  I am going to be busy helping her when she goes home.    Denice

4 hours ago, Denice said:

I have a huge tile on my work bench that I rolled out yesterday,  I am going to work on sculpting the design in it today.   I am making a press mold,  I need 18 tiles to build a  grill in the  porch window.   It is going to take me longer than I thought to complete this project,  my mother in-law had a stroke  a hour before her 96th birthday party Saturday.  I am going to be busy helping her when she goes home.    Denice

Best wishes for a solid recovery for your mother-in-law. Take good care of yourself also.

Gabby my mother in-law is doing great,  she didn't end up with any physical problems and she has her speech back.   She still mixes up or forgets a few words but who doesn't do that.   It gives us a little time to find a assisted living facility for her,  there is always a waiting list.    She had 5 mini strokes and going to need some surgery in the future,  my husband spent the night with her.   I spent most of the day working on the tile,  it weighed 12lbs when I started on it and I have taken 4 lbs off of it but I still have a lot of carving to do.     Denice

5 hours ago, Denice said:

Gabby my mother in-law is doing great,  she didn't end up with any physical problems and she has her speech back.   She still mixes up or forgets a few words but who doesn't do that.   It gives us a little time to find a assisted living facility for her,  there is always a waiting list.    She had 5 mini strokes and going to need some surgery in the future,  my husband spent the night with her.   I spent most of the day working on the tile,  it weighed 12lbs when I started on it and I have taken 4 lbs off of it but I still have a lot of carving to do.     Denice

I am so glad she is doing well. My sister had a mini-stroke last September. At that time I learned that mini-strokes, unlike the regular kind, leave no lasting damage, though they are scary all around. I hope you find an assisted living spot that is just right for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a glaze firing last night, hope to open tonight when I get home.  Kiln was still at 900f when I left for work.  I've got 35 mugs in there and a shelf of spoon rests.  Trying out a new glaze, coffee nuka.  Went to mix some other glazes this weekend and lo and behold!  No silica. Grrr, I thought I had half of a 50lb bag left when I saw the bin almost empty.  

Oh well!  That just means I get to make another trip to Seattle pottery supply!

This week I'm going to continue to try repeat bowls.  That's all that's on the docket.  I might do another glaze firing midweek if I can, but not a deal breaker

I have an oblate sphere on my banding wheel.  I have roughed in some dancing figures to circle the outside and am thinking about the underglaze treatment.

On a separate table I have an oval plaque, as yet unfired, maybe ten inches by 16." I will probably underglaze that before firing. That one is on a Year of the Pig theme, with a plan of showing up to three red river hogs, a Vasayan warty pig, and a warthog. 

4 minutes ago, Gabby said:

I have an oblate sphere on my banding wheel.  I have roughed in some dancing figures to circle the outside and am thinking about the underglaze treatment.

On a separate table I have an oval plaque, as yet unfired, maybe ten inches by 16." I will probably underglaze that before firing. That one is on a Year of the Pig theme, with a plan of showing up to three red river hogs, a Vasayan warty pig, and a warthog. 

That sounds interesting!!

And my wife has changed my plans for the week.  We are putting together our business plan and she wants me to work on designing and throwing some dog and cat dishes.  Our animals have always been central in our life, and so has our mixed heritage so we thought these would be central themes in a family business.  So DOG BOWLS!!! WOO!  Now I have to go find my sketchbook

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

That sounds interesting!!

And my wife has changed my plans for the week.  We are putting together our business plan and she wants me to work on designing and throwing some dog and cat dishes.  Our animals have always been central in our life, and so has our mixed heritage so we thought these would be central themes in a family business.  So DOG BOWLS!!! WOO!  Now I have to go find my sketchbook

Remind me of the type and size of dogs you have. I have an 87 pound golden retriever 

I think dog and cat dishes are an excellent idea for the Seattle area market.

Maybe don't make them white with a goofy picture.

12 minutes ago, Gabby said:

Remind me of the type and size of dogs you have. I have an 87 pound golden retriever 

I think dog and cat dishes are an excellent idea for the Seattle area market.

Maybe don't make them white with a goofy picture.

We've got 2 huskies, a 3 year old white one (Kita), she's 65lbs, and a 10 month old cream one (Kodi) and he's 45lbs so far.  We also have a 12 year old daschund (Scotch) and a 15 year old tuxedo cat (meowzer)!

IMG_20190204_092147_1_crop_604x476.jpg

MVIMG_20190204_091454_crop_604x604.jpg

This lovely penguin was made by Liz Fletcher and I got it in a NH Potters' Guild pot swap. A good friend collects penguin stuff and I am reglazing it to make her a gift of it. The black was too thin in spots and there's a little chip on the beak that needs coverage. Hopefully, an 05 refire will do the trick.  Yes, that's snow in the background.

_DSC0865.jpg

_DSC0898.JPG

Edited by LeeU

Ok, ended up only throwing 2 keepers last night, but I got my gauge set and will throw some more tonight.  I can only do 3 a night for now because 3 of my bigger bats up and walked off somewhere.  Oh well!  I have a 50lb bag of plaster #1 and some pie tins, I should just start making some.

Anyway, another video if anyone is interested in my process.