Crispy Cone

I thought it was confusing at first too, but the third segment is the cooling down part. In any case I went through my books ... Yea, go figure. I've have accumulated a bunch of books on ceramics over the years and you would have thought I would have looked up a schedule for firing the electric kiln in one of them before now. In any case I found a detailed clear firing schedule for both bisque and glazes firings in "Electric Kiln Ceramics" by Richard Zakin. So back to work... gotta make another kiln load of stuff!!!  

IMG_2352.JPG

4 hours ago, GreyBird said:

I do know the kiln fired to cone 6 because the witness cones were perfect with the 7 cone still standing and the 5 & 6 cones bent over. The stoneware clay body looked way too dark like it was "over cooked".  The glazes had all sorts of issues.... crawling, pitting, running... color was off all around.

Post some pictures, maybe someone can help so you can avoid some of theses issues with your next firing. BTW some glazes can look very different when slow cooled rather than fast cooled.

change one thing at a time so you know, log temp hourly and temp range and hours into firing.

did the sitter 's drop coincide with temp reached?

so who's in control here?

got a kiln god, did you keep tongue in left nostril throughout?

smile

LOL, Yes. The Cone drop coincided with temp reached (So a cone 7 rod gets me to actual cone 6 temps) I was going to manually turn it back on to slow cool but I found I didn't need to. It took over an hour to drop 200°. I did log temp every hour and adjusted front knobs to stay as close to the desired rise in temp as possible. I have a better schedule to follow from the book mentioned above next time and I have the pyrometer so I'll never over fire as I'll be able to check things manually. My next load will be gorgeous!

Today I spent cleaning and organizing the studio. There's a lot of that to do too! Already looking forward to tomorrow :)

6 hours ago, Min said:

Post some pictures, maybe someone can help so you can avoid some of theses issues with your next firing. BTW some glazes can look very different when slow cooled rather than fast cooled.

My neighbor already came over and scavenged everything. She loves everything, no matter how bad it is. I always tell her. it's fine to take it. Just don't tell anyone I made it, or be sure to mention they're my rejects!. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I discovered what happened to the crispy cone. I'm doing another bisque firing and I've discovered an issue with the top element. It stays on constantly even when set on low. So basically the top element is on High even when set on Low. I'll need to find a kiln guy to fix it.

For this bisque fire I just turned off the top element. Can I finish the bisque fire with the bottom three elements? or should I abort the firing.

-Mary

kiln.JPG

I 'd be tempted to bisque minus the top till temp gets to where every thing in on high and at that time switch the top one on......

can load that part more densely, Imo, to offset the impact, not very scientific, but logical to my brain.

the pyrometer sits fairly close to top , so should be indicating temp reached close to top element??

Archived